In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Another M1 Garand rifle question. #2

my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
edited March 2023 in Ask the Experts

I am hoping some one might be able to help? Did any factory  M1 Garand rifle, say a Winchester, H&R or even a IHC M1 rifle leave there factory with 100% all the same parts numbers for each rifle All I have seen are rifle with many different part numbers or manufacturer part number. The parts I am looking at are the trigger assembly, bolt Operating Rod handle...

Thanks for your time and wisdom!

Vern

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

That's not the way it works with M1 rifles. The receiver always has the serial number stamped; many other parts have the drawing number of that particular part stamped on them. The drawing is just a blue print of each part, & that was delivered to each contractor every time there was a change in specifications for every part.

Collectors know that for many serial number ranges the drawing numbers of the small parts should be in a certain drawing number range. The easiest way to know what should be in any given rifle is to buy a copy of "The M1 Garand Serial Numbers & Data Sheets". There will always be slight variations, since usually the manufacturers tried to use up the "old" parts before changing to the new ones.

The Civilian Marksmanship Program used to sell a "correct grade" rifle that had all the right original parts.

Neal

EDIT: Serial number blocks were assigned to each manufacturer. If the manufacturer, for example, had trouble making the barrels, they would request a bunch of barrels from Springfield Armory & use them to complete rifles.

Neal

• Options
    my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
    edited March 2023

Sir: If H&R made a rifle, would all the parts in that M1 rifle be made by H&R or did they send that receiver say to Springfield to get parts to finish? Thanks Again!

Vern

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭

When HRA actually did need barrels, they sent a request to Springfield Armory. The barrels were shipped to HRA & the rifles were completed there.

Neal