In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best Electrically Heated Hunting Vest

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭

I hunt late season elk in Colorado. Most of my hunting is spot-and-stalk and I walk between 8-12 miles a day. I'd like to purchase an electrically heated hunting vest that will help keep the chill off when I stop and spot after walking a long distance. The theory is, I can turn on the vest when I stop for 20-30 minute to ward off a chill. Then, I can turn it off again when I starting trudging again.

I'd like a lightweight, dependable, easy-to-use vest with a substantial battery life. Internet research doesn't help much because the on-line reviews are all over the map. One guy swears by Brand-X....best ever, yada yada....and the next guy says, "Brand-X is a piece of junk, don't waste your money." I also don't trust the on-line reviews because it seems many are produced by the vests' manufacturers. So, I'm looking for advice from someone with personal experience, good or bad. I'd appreciate any help.

Oh, and yes, I know, the traditional answer to my problem is layering. Yes, I do that, but I'm tired of lugging around a lot of extra clothing, bundling up when I stop, and then stripping down when I start to walk. Been there, done that for fifty years now. I'm hoping modern technology might prove to be a simpler solution.

Folks with experience, chime in please.

Comments

• danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Dewalt hunting coat that I use when stand hunting

it sure is nice to turn on the heat setting to get rid of a chill

but the battery makes it heavy when walking or moving around

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

I received a GERBING heated 7 volt vest three years ago. All I can say is that it works as advertised. I never used it for hunting and seldom used it with the battery On. It is very warm without the battery On. It is 100% polyester. Keep in mind you will be carrying the battery around while it is Off. I understand your problem and don't know an easy answer. I love my down vests. Good luck.

• Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭

One guy swears by Brand-X....best ever, yada yada....and the next guy says, "Brand-X is a piece of junk, don't waste your money."

Well....you won't get any of that here! 😂

I had one of these for cold weather cycling back when I still rode to work in the winter. Worked great, never had any issues. Warm enough that I used it as an outermost vest with no layers on top of it.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,311 ******

"Well....you won't get any of that here! 😂"

LOL, yeah that never happens... @Kevin_L I looked at your link, man that guy must have a lot of money to be able to afford all those different vests....

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, first hand experience I can tell you for a FACT buy some gerbing heated insoles. Buy the battery pack, or 2, and the adapter with wiring. My wife's was $99 for insoles, and about $200 for 2 batteries and harness. These will heat up to about 125*f and will last about 3-4 hours in high(per battery) or 7-8 hours on low to medium! My wife cannot hunt without them. And NO they are not like the junk heated socks with D cell battery. They are ABSOLUTELY worth the investment. The batteries lasted her about 6 years before one began to swell, it still worked but we replaced it.

I ASSUME their heated jackets are awesome too!

Second hand experience for the heated vest, which was your question. Milwaukee heated vests are awesome. My SIL has one and she swears buy it. It takes the small Milwaukee batteries, like the small drill type round batteries, not the rectangular shaped impact drill batteries.

I have no experience with DeWalt vest, not did I know they offered one. I will check that one out too because I have good luck with all my DeWalt tools.

• GTRiemGTRiem Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

I have used the Milwaukee vest last few years.

It works great. Uses the M12 battery. I have 2 just in case but 1 usually works for a morning thru early afternoon sit in Southern MI.

I really like the vest as it allows me to wear less bulky clothes when chilly.

My only real gripe I have is I don't like the placement of the battery pocket in my lower left lumbar area.

GTR

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

It's not my chest that gets cold.

• savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭

Down here I need a air conditioning one most of the time

• carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

I hunt in LA (Lower Alabama) along the Alabama River. Temps tend to rise quickly in the mornings and drop quickly as the sun sets. I wanted something not too bulky that I wouldn't have to take off and carry when temps warmed up. My wife and I both have the Dewalt heated coats. We love them. The 20V batteries (all sizes work) and adapter are heavy and bulky, but to us very much worth it. Adapter also has USB outlet and internal channel to route phone charger cable up to a chest pocket that is great for phone.

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******

My son bought me an electric shirt this year for Christmas.

I have not used it yet but it might be something to think about.