In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hey you trap shooters, got some questions

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I have a browning Citori 30" tubes, invector plus choke tubes. This shotgun fits me like a custom made gun and I love shooting it.

Questions:

Do you use the bottom barrel as the primary tube used for 16 yard trap? What chokes are you shooting? What shot size, 7-1/2 or 8's? Do you right handers have trouble hitting the far left to right birds? Where do you hold the gun when calling for the bird?

Comments

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

I'm hardly a 'trap shooter' but here's my thoughts: Using the lower barrel will ease the recoil by keeping the force lower and more in line with the stock.

7.5 or 8 shot? For slower birds, calm wind, and a shooter who 'gets on the bird' quickly I'd lean toward #8.

Choke? Anywhere from improved modified to turkey full depending on distance, speed, wind, and shooter 'quickness'.

Where to hold? When I was coaching the FFA trap team, my suggestion was the closer front corner of the trap house on stations 1, 2, 4, 5. Modify this to suit your style.

Like I said, 'real' trap shooters may tell you I'm full of crap. That's OK with me.

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭

Id agree with Mobuck but I use 7.5 in the winter, and 8 in the summer for the most part. If Im lucky enough to shoot from the back station Id probably also use 7.5. I never use Improved Cyl. Mod. is as open as I go.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

I usually use a modified choke at the 16 yd line and either 7.5 or 8's will work fine. As was mentioned the bottom barrel is kinder on your cheek because of less muzzle rise. Mobuck has good advice for where to hold your gun before calling for the target. Judy also shoots a Citori and does quite well with it. Normally trap guns are set to pattern high because of a rising target, so if using a field or sporting clays gun keep that in mind when establishing your lead or you will shoot under the target. Bob

• thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

I'm using a low budget CZ 12 ga. I always use the upper barrel and have the IC choke installed, probably a modified on the lower barrel which I never use. I'm using up my #9 shot which I had loaded a bunch of boxes, and when they're gone I'll go to #8's. I have no trouble hitting the birds going across as I'm a better skeet shooter than trap. Everybody here has their gun to the shoulder when calling.

• forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭

Bruce.

Let’s take this one step at a time.

1. Get several pieces of 30“ x 30“ wrapping or butcher paper. Draw a 30 inch circle on each piece of paper and then draw a line both horizontal and vertical through the center of the paper. Where the lines intersect Draw a 4 inch circle. Mount one of the sheets on plywood or OSB board at eye level 30yds from where you will be shooting.
    2. How much of the barrel ‘rib’ do you see when you shoulder the gun when actually shooting at clay birds. Rule of thumb is the middle bead should be the bottom portion of a figure 8. This will make your shot string shoot a little high, as it should if you are floating the bird slightly above the muzzle, as you should.
    3. With this sight picture shoot the 4” circle. By looking at the shot impact on the paper you can tell how high the shot string is impacting the target. My trap gun is set up to shoot 60/40 ,,,,, 60% high, 40% below when I float the bird. 
    4. Now shoot again with a new target with the more open choke. Now you have an idea of shot concentration between cokes.
    5. The vast majority shoot #8 shot from the 16yd line. As you progress and start shooting handicap you will eventually progress towpard 7 1/2  at further distance’s.
    6. As to which barrel you might want to consider which one has the less felt recoil, depending on how your gun is ‘stocked’. There is a little difference between the two.
    7. Reference gun position: the following works for me. Station one I hold  just below and slightly left of the forward edge of the trap house,,,,,,, just the opposite on station 5. Station 2 I hold just between station 1 & 3. Station 3 is the opposite of 1 and 2. Station three I hold just to the left and below the far edge of the trap house. I never have the muzzle above the far edge of the ‘house’ ,,,,,,, this prevents blocking out a bird when it leaves the house.
    8. This is my story and I’m sticking with it ,,,,,,,🤣

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, I found this very helpful and will patter my gun as soon as the weather breaks.