In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hearing aides.

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

Finally, I am breaking down and getting a hearing aid. Not two, just one. I am totally deaf in my left ear, from a scuba diving accident, back in 85. I have about 70% hearing in my right ear. It is going to be wonderful to not keep saying, what?, after every sentence someone speaks at me. Most times, I just read lips. Or in my wife's case, finger!!!! LOL. Man those little suckers are expensive. Getting the one that has Bluetooth, so I can connect it with my phone. Oakie

Comments

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭✭

Good call. The phone connection bit is cool. We want a range report once you're set up!

My dad used some from Beltone and he said they were great. Mom said he still couldn't hear her. Go figure. 😁

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭

With that kind of loss, I'm very glad you aren't opting for one of those cheap new plugs they advertise on TV.

Now that you can get generic hearing aids over the counter like reading glasses, people with mild loss can get an idea of what a good hearing aid could do for them without dropping thousands of dollars. But the analogy to drugstore reading glasses is apt. Just like $5 glasses are nowhere as good as prescription, so are OTC hearing aids.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

I read once that as men age,one of the first tones we lose is that of womens voices.That was when I was sure God has a sense of humor.

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭

Because I have a really good hearing aid guy I am up on this topic.

My guy told me if I wasn't going to have the aids in my ears a minimum of 8 hours a day seven days a week, don't waste my money on purchasing them. I average around 12 hours per day according to his computer.

He also told me to have them "tuned" every 3 to 4 months. I sit in his office while he plays random sounds at random times in each of my ears as I indicate when I hear the sound. This is all computerized. Then he has the computer make the necessary adjustments according to what I hear during the test. I have had my aids for around three years now. I'm very happy with them but I know much of my happiness comes from how good my hearing aid guy is. I just did my "tune up" last Thursday. I can always tell that I hear better after my "tune up"!

The best way to describe aids in versus aids out is comparing mono to stereo. I can hear without them but the sound is a much lusher sound with them, far more flatter without them in.

The fact is, we really can't hear our wives!!😁 Most people lose the higher frequency type sounds first, in other words I hear my sons deep voice just fine without my aids in. But Wifes voice?? Not so much. As in I really can't hear her very well at all without my aids in. Great excuse!!😂

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭

Hillbille, I was told by a man a long time ago that the best wife is a deaf mute!! He was speaking from experience!! That is what his wife was!!😁😂😁

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭

Oakie, the Blue tooth is great but it will eat up batteries. Don't go cheep, there's a big difference. Investigate "VSP True Hearing". Not insurance, but like a club. Saved me 40%.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭

I thought the blue tooth connection was a good idea but now I'm not so sure.

First you still have to handle your phone and use the speaker or hold the phone to your face. If I do that, the only gain is having the phone come through both ears. Since you only have hearing in one ear, what's gained?

I've had a single aid for 3 years and it does help. I'm going in Friday to get my new pair with the expectation of making things better. I'm currently using a pair of loaners until then. FWIW, I'm not sure two is going to be all that much better than one. The audiologist says my left ear may 'come back' a little but at best, the two will give me better directional sense than a single.

As mentioned, the bluetooth connectivity will eat power much faster but that depends on how much you use your phone. I'd rather have a separate headset that doesn't run my hearing aid power down.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******

Get a rechargeable and forget about batteries. Place the device in the charger, under the dryer/sanitizer nightly and don't worry about it.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭

"Get a rechargeable and forget about batteries. Place the device in the charger, under the dryer/sanitizer nightly and don't worry about it."

That's a pretty fancy gadget. The concept of rechargables is dependent on the expectation of using the aids all day, every day.

This may be fine for some but personally, I already know there are going to be many days I don't use the stupid things. The noise of equipment is already deafening(the reason I can't hear now) so why would I INCREASE the noise?

• Options

I have worn mine only a few times since November. Being housebound sorta takes the incentive out of wearing them. Before that, I was pretty good about putting them in except for when I was going to fish or golf - for fear of losing them. We go see the tax guy tomorrow; I'll wear them then.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭

I tried several at various price levels up to $6K about three years ago. I could not tell any of them made a significant difference. I have a pair of hunting aids, ($1K) that amplify sounds and damp down with shots fired. They actually work better, though the clarity is not the best, but they are less comfortable than the expensive ones. And my wife's voice is also my greatest challenge.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭

Rocky what brand do you recommend.

I bought the $250 Cheapos off of a tv ad 2 months ago. Not very good.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭

I use Phonak & a friend has Oticon.

Yes, the wife's voice is the most challenging.

We also rely on closed caption for TV. It helps with fast talkers & accents.

Again, a $6800 pair was only $4200 through VSP True Hearing. If your dealer is smart (?) they will honor the pricing (without checking your membership). That way VSP doesn't take a cut. I wouldn't feel bad about it as they're wayyyyy overpriced.

• Options
    edited March 2023

Mine are from the VA and are Resound brand. I really cannot make a recommendation. Except to say that if you have a Costco nearby, go there and get tested. They sell VERY good brands at the best possible price and their warranty/service is excellent.

The good news is that you learned a fairly cheap lesson about cheap hearing aids.

For TV, even if you don't have a hearing loss, get yourself a ZVOX AccuVoice sound bar. They use hearing aid technology to dampen sounds like background music and emphasize voice. Miraculous.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭

Rocky the VA gave me a box for my tv and the hearing aids go through it, I can turn the volume off on the tv and still hear the programs through my hearing aids. It is nice in the evenings when everyone goes to bed, I turn the volume off and sit and listen through the hearing aids and don't disturb anyone else........ they are resound brand also, and the recharable style as I doubt I could see to replace the batteries anymore

• Options

I'm not so sure I can recommend Resound brand. I'm on my third right side one, the first two developed bad batteries or something. Would not take or hold a full charge. Lowest bidder to the VA, I assume. The last time, the VA tech said to send them both in (I sent only the dead one the first time) and they sent me a new set. If I were paying for them, I'd probably be miffed.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******

I don't trust hearing aids, I suspect they're what are leading much of our elderly congress and POTUS astray.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Got mine at Costco. Cordless and charge over night. Guaranteed for 3 years, $1600. The best thing I ever did for myself, except for a S&W 5906, 4006 and 4506. Ha!

• Options
    arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

I got a pair from Costco 5 years ago had real good luck with them. I just got a new pair two weeks ago from Costco, Jabra they seem to be working fine. They cost less than if I get them through my health care provider.

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭✭

My first set was Widex. Fit was great and worked great but were propriatory (sp) no control over these and had to make repeated trips to audiologist. Covered by Blue Cross but i had a $750 co-payment.

Second set was Phonex thru the VA. The molded kind. A little PIA to get in ear canal but work great. Can't hear good on my flip phone unless I pull right one out. i have a clicker to adjust volume.----------------------------Ray