In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cartridge collection

elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭

I have a collection that I started back in the mid 50's. Gittin' old now and want to cash in on stuff that my kids would just throw away. How do I sell them? Do I need to go through an FFL? Can I ship them to anyone? I probably have about 250 total. I use to display them when I participated in shows. Thank you for any information. Ed

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭

Sell on gb you need proper sticker on package to ship no us mail fedx or ups only no ship to certain states shipping not cheap any more

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭

Let me know when you post them. I started collecting cartridges in 1964. A neighbor gave me a cigar box full of odd rounds he had collected and that started the hobby for me. Nothing specific, just stuff I found interesting.

Some people just show a pile of ammo with the rarer rounds on top and don't say what all is there. I never bid on those, so please list the calibers you have so people know what they are getting. Or you can sell them by the round but shipping is around $15, even for one cartridge. It helps if you will combine shipping. Most folks who sell singles do.

• Options

Thanks, I do have them separated in baggies. Rimfire, black powder, shot shells, pistol, modern, etc.

• Options
    wallyentwallyent Member Posts: 279 ✭✭

ED,

We have been getting a Grandson into collecting cartridges for a year or so now.

Would love to hear from you some tips/ideas/knowledge on it for him that you have learned.

We've been thinking of getting him a wood chest sort of like found at Harbor Freight.

He's just 18 so our thought was it would be easy to store and move. He could enlarge into displays as he gets older.

Figured we would have to reinforce drawers/etc for weight and maybe line them with layer of the half cardboard material so rounds wouldn/t roll/etc.

Thanks for any info you might have.

• Options

I have a standing display case four feet tall, three feet wide and eight inches deep with glass shelving. It was easy to set up at gun shows, not too heavy or bulky. All the cartridges were visible through the glass front door. It did take a little while to set them up in the correct order. I have seen others in styrofoam cut outs with a glass covering that looked pretty nice but you had to cut an impression for each cartridge to fit in. Google Cartridge Collectors Association for more suggestions. Also the auction side often has good deals on bulk lots of old discontinued stuff. Hope this helps.