In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wicked Tuna -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2023 in General Discussion

Been watching my first few episodes last couple days. Very impressive. People catching (with Hard Core, Heavy Duty Tackle) 195-400# Tuna worth $17-$22/lb. (Fish worth $2.5-9K.) Awesome!!

*Looks like they are using "Bang Sticks," when they get close to the boat. (?)

95% based out of Gloucester. (Would have loved to have done something like that for a living.)

You can keep that "Deadliest Catch," Deathwish stuff, up in Offshore Alaska. I wouldn't make that Cruise. 🤔

Anyone else watch this?

I'm watching 3rd in a row since getting off work, this evening.

Comments

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

only seen bits and pieces

yep when they hook a big one its pay day for sure

who would have thought the price they get but if you watch the Japanese ( I would guess all of them ) fish markets they auction bring in big money for the right ones

I agree the normal fishing boats they did the history channel shows those people have more guts than I do

to go out on deck in the storm's but ya got to do what ya got to do some times to make a living

I would take up homeless and welfare first LOL

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I agree Ditch. I'm a long time Mariner. Several/multiple, Power boats/Sailboats etc. (Miami, Key's, etc.) Long time Whitewater Kayaker, (since about 14 yrs of age.) Several extended (14 days) Sea Kayaking trips in rough water, Off Coast up in Maine.

Being on a 70'-120' fishing boat up in the Bering Sea? Huge Sea's/Waves,Storms? Water temp, below freezing? (Hard Pass.) Those Guy's/Girl's, earn every penny they make/take home. Hat's Off, Hard Salute. 🤚 (Not for me.)

heck Ken I cant even swim and came close a few times while playing in the lakes or ocean to make it back in ( pure stupidly on my part 😲 )

I learned my limits so I dont go out over my head any more . and never wore a life jacket even dumber

on fishing trips to the lake Erie with buddies in a big storm years ago once that was scary enough for me

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Was aways an Excellent Swimmer. Growing up in Miami, (We lived there 3 different times,) while Dad was in the Army.

One place we lived, was on a very large Private Lake. (Echo Lake. Shaped like an E.) I was in the water, pretty much every single day, for years. Swam like a fish.

Private Pool, inside a screened enclosure at our house. (Thank's Dad, Awesome place to Live!!)

edited March 2023

the fishing boats in Alaska those people are nuts even with the money they make is great good for them they

• SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭

Not as much fun as it looks. I used to work on a charter boat in the 60’s out of Galilee RI. We used to participate in the Rhode Island Tuna Tournament the RITT. Had all kinds of celebrities show up. One year Frank Sinatra showed with his huge boat.

The event was not fun for us deck hands. It meant making a lot of chum and long hours. All you see on TV is the fun part. What they don’t show is the hours and hours of trolling and chumming while waiting for a hit. We as deck hands did that all night long some times while others were sleeping. And that was actually the easy part, once you get a fish on there were many times you lost them. And getting a big tuna like on TV was not as common as they make it look and that was with 125 fishing boats over the three days of Labor Day weekend.

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

Me and Boats🤢🤮. My feet stay on the docks