In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Single Malt -- I was wrong

Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭

For many years, I drank blended Scotch and was quite happy with it. Couldn't "get" the fascination with single malts.

And then I bought a bottle of Glenmorangie 10-yr. Oh, my.

Then I bought Glenmorangie 12. Oh, MY!

I was wrong.

It's right near $60 a bottle here, but it's worth it.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

Comments

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭

Only if its a big enough bottle to last 5 years.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭

Nope, just a 750.

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭

I can't stand blended Scotch, like Johnnie Walker. But I got hold of some single malt Glenfiddich and it is really good!

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,817 ✭✭✭✭

Here are a couple of my favorite single malts

• arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

I had a bottle of single malt Glenlivet, given to me when I moved in, it sat around for a while. Finally tried it, about all I drink now, their 12 year is so smooth.

• freefall176freefall176 Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2023

Don't have the refined taste buds I think your speaking of. I never pay the taste of any good whiskey any mind. Usually heavily distracted by the live band while in close proximity to pretty gals. Maybe I should work on this.

More later.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭

I doubt my taste buds are very sharp. I can't tell one beer from another, nor can I discern the "notes" some people claim to find in other foods and drinks. I just think they're all good. There IS a difference in smoothness between the Scotches I've tried, however.

That strikes me as ironic and almost whimsical, seeing as how "single malts" are blended and "blended" Scotches are made from single malts!

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭

Scots whiskey tastes like old gym socks smell to me. Even the expensive single malts. You can have my share Rocky.

edited March 2023

I don't like the real peaty smoky scotch whiskys either. A friend taught me a little about Scotch and if you try the whiskys from the distillers in the Speyside area of Scotland you wont get that gym sock smell.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,272 ******

Never fully developed a taste for the hard stuff having learned some valuable lessons in my youth. It's a wonder I survived those lessons.

However. I have been known to down a tall glass of this fine malt stuff on special occasions. I like it best stirred and not shaken. James Bond is a woosy! 😁

Quite possibly my favorite candy, especially when you get a soft squishy one.

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

Never found a liking for scotch. That is all my dad drinks. He like McCallans 12 and Johnny Walker Red. I bought him a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue for his 75th, and he hated it. Hmmmm. Myself, I only like Bourbon. I drink Buffalo Trace as a regular drink, and Blantons on a special occasions. Definitely a difference in higher priced Alcohol, IMHO.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited March 2023

Generally speaking you should be able to get good tasting and appealing spirits if you're willing to separate with enough of your money.

With blended (I am a Jameson whiskey or a Wolcott bourbon man) I don't have to pay near as much for good quality, so I stick with that.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Austin, I am good with Bushmills, and my favorite Myers Dark Rum.

• Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭

Yes!!! What are those exactly and why can’t they make an entire box of them?

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭

Just had some Lagavulin 16 and it was stellar. I regularly enjoy Laphroig 10. But I drink bourbon way more than Scotch. Now if you want to try something really unique then pick up some Balcones out of Texas. They have several single malts. My favorite is their Brimstone but it ain’t for the beginning to whiskey.

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭

As I grew to appreciate Scotch Whiskey, I briefly became a single malt snob (single cask for a brief stint) and would eschew blends.

Was competing in a charity golf tournament in Dornach, Scotland and the prize for the winner was a 2 liter bottle of Monkey Shoulder, a once very inexpensive blended whiskey. I assume it was a joke prize, as Dornach is in the center of Whiskey country, but as the bottle was passed around, all imbibed and enjoyed, including me.

While I remain partial to the 15, 18 and 21 year aged offerings from the Glen Dronoch distillery, I have also opened my pallet to a wide variety of blends, and find many to be very enjoyable, particularly Johnny Walker Green and Blue Labels.

Being open has its advantages. At Total Wine, I stumbled across a 95 point 12 year old single malt from Glen Fohdry for under $ 30.00, which was surprisingly good, and an 18 year old 98 point from somewhere which cost north of $ 200.00 which was, IMO, garbage.

I currently have around 20 bottles, ranging from $ 30.00 to $ 300.00 and one very special one that is north of $ 2,000.00 which is reserved for very special occasions. I only have a few drinks a month, so the cost of the individual bottle becomes moot, as they will all be around for a while.

My suggestion? Find what you like that is within your price range and enjoy.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭

Around Christmas 10 or 15 years ago CVS had six bottles of Speyburn but the bar code wouldn't scan. The manager came to the register and tried to find a price and finally asked me what I would pay for it. I told him the liquor store had some single malt on sale for $20 so he rang it up for that. I came back a couple days later and bought another one for the same price.

One of the original Montford Point Marines I had the pleasure of knowing drank Teacher's so I have that when I'm at the Legion post he belonged to. It's tolerable.

I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭

@Henry0Reilly In a friend's estate was an OLD bottle of Teacher's & it was great. So good that I searched out a new bottle. Wasn't nearly as good, but tolerable.

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭

I guess I drink too much to buy most of that high end stuff! If I do get a bottle I hoard it and sip away.