In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rocky and you other high performance jet types!! I got a Mustang Top Gun question?!?

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭

So when Maverick and Rooster are making their escape in the "old" jet and Maverick pops a missile at the "new" jet the "new' jet does what I would call a flip flop!?!

Both maverick and Rooster go "What the f... was that?"

First off, the character Maverick is playing would be one of top fighter piolets in the world. There is no way he wouldn't know what that move is.

My question is, what is that move called or is that just Hollywood??

Comments

• Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭✭

Hollywood. Pretty sure they were just trying to show off the capabilities of the fictitious "next gen" fighter they were against.

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

The su57 “felon” features thrust vectoring nozzles like the f22. Enables ridiculous maneuvering. Russia won’t export them, and only have a couple in service.

You should see a guns only dogfight with 2 thrust vectoring jets, doesn’t resemble traditional dogfight especially at low speed. And with the good thrust to weight ratio of the 2 planes mentioned, control of the aircraft can be maintained where most jets would depart controlled flight.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭

I can't help you. First, I have not seen the movie (either one) and second, I never had any air-air training. I was strictly an air to mud guy.

But what tsavo says is correct.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

I haven't yet seen the movie, but there are existing Russian planes such as the Sukoi Su-27, Su-35 that use extreme thrust vectoring to achieve past 90 degree angles of attack at moderate to slow speeds. They call the maneuver you are describing the "Pugachev's Cobra maneuver". It's also called "Dynamic deceleration".

Other older planes such as the SAAB-35 and MiG-21 have the ability with slightly less control.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,258 ******
    edited March 2023

First of all, as has been said, the maneuver is believable due to existing technology. Second, their reaction is understandable because, even if they're aware of the capability they likely have never seen the maneuver done in front of them (Maverick hadn't been flying combat missions for some time and Rooster hadn't seen real air combat yet). It's the same reaction the audience has.

Maneuver is at 2:35 here (warning, spoilers)

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭

Aerial dog fight

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭

I’m sure the plane can take the G forces like that, but I don’t know if the pilot could with stand them.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

That was AWESOME, @Mr. Perfect.

Thank You, Sir. 👍😁

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome movie, clip thanks for posting

I watched the movie some time back but honestly was not paying that much attention to it .

I tip my hat to all the real piolts their abilities are well beyond what I could image doing

Their under paid no matter what they make

• Options

We chortled and guffawed that they actually paid us to have that much fun. "Here's a multi-million-dollar toy, young man. Go play with it."

• Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Fun clip. It's the movies but based on potential reality. Several nations have developed aircraft that can perform mind-blowing maneuvers using thrust vectoring. They are not in mass production largely because the age of dog fighting has (once again) passed and future wars are expected to involve longer range (generally radar guided) missiles far more than guns or in close (generally infrared) missiles.

As noted above, pilot limitations are significant and dramatically influence what can be employed. There's a bunch of science if anyone wants to look deeper, but as an oversimplification: humans tolerate positive g far better than negative g (gray out v. red out); lateral g is a killer (think whiplash fore/aft or side/side...our body (especially the neck) isn't designed for it). These limitations, coupled with manned-aircraft design requirements (e.g., an ejection seat) and technological advances, have helped fuel the move towards unmanned and autonomous aircraft.

Fighter pilots are trained to 9 positive g, learning muscle contraction and breathing techniques that help keep the brain and eyes supplied with blood. It's painful, but most make it through the training. Having once been in a sustained inverted spin and experiencing a couple negative g spikes that topped out around -2.5g, I found that more painful and potentially debilitating than the 9 g ride and had a week's worth of blood-shot eyeballs as a parting gift.

Aerial Combat is quite the thrill but is physically taxing and is for young'uns, not an old guy that dated Kelly McGillis back when she was hot.

• Options

As I am now learning, it also comes back to haunt and * you years later.

Let us take the example of a 150-pound pilot (just to make the math simple enough for me) About two-thirds of that is above the legs, or about 100 pounds in his torso. A seated pilot pulling 5 Gs thus "weighs" 500 pounds.Try holding 500 pounds on your head and shoulders and see how your spine likes it. It may be for only a few seconds at a time, but he may do that up to 20 times in a flight. One of hundreds or thousands of flights.

My spine Doc says he is already treating F-35 guys who regularly pull that 7 to 9 Gs described above.