In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun safe shelving and trim

magicVapor1magicVapor1 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2023 in General Discussion

I can't be the only one here that is fascinated with all of the new shelving/hangers/pistol mounting and storage for your safes nowadays.

One thing I cannot find is the trim for the edge of the shelving. I know I could always wrap it in cloth, but I like the pleather/leather look and safety for not marring my stuffs finish. I thought it would be a couple of clicks away, but nooooooo.

Any directions at all...would be very appreciated.

P.S.This site can be addictive

Comments

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭

Try auto, camper or boat trim.

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭

"addictive"? You're preaching to the choir here magicVapor1!

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • magicVapor1magicVapor1 Member Posts: 5

I may just try to do a wrap around with the new felt and give that a try. Im not going for looks, and if it works good, I will post a pic or 4

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

Car upholstery shop. I bet they can take care of that for you.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭

it might be easier if you stood it up and down.......

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

I would simply wrap the shelves with speaker box carpet:

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • magicVapor1magicVapor1 Member Posts: 5

You could be right...that door is awfully heavy like this.

Thanks

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

As far as leather strips, if you use the sales website named after a big river in South America, they have a lot of it. Just search for "leather strips". People also have used padded felt and even nylon webbing. Upholsterers might have leftover vinyl, cloth, or leather too depending on how much you need. You might get it cheap if they have what you are after. I used the fuzzy side of Velcro, it looks decent, but it can be utilitarian in regards that something can be attached as needed. I have a method where when I need to get a gun from the back of the safe, I pull one out, and affix it temporarily across the front.

If you haven't seen/used them already, I HIGHLY recommend Rifle Rods from https://www.storemoreguns.com/rifle-rods-gun-rack-system/ I have dealt with them countless times as I have bought more and more supplies. Now, I have also started using some of their pistol stands and such too. In silicone gun socks, we cut a small hole in the end and use the Serger sewing machine so it won't fray. Then, I use cheap car key tags (though they have really nice ones specifically for the rods) labeled with the make/model on one side and the S/N on the other so I don't have to open it up to discover what's inside.

They drastically improve storage capacity in all but the smallest safe, and honestly, the fact that your not limited to the fixed position cutouts. This means you can give more room around thick guns like bolt action or MSR's with accessories, and use less room for streamlined lever-action rifles. Check out their video.

While you are in there doing shelf work, it is a good time to consider adding an inside outlet (if it didn't come with one). I also ran a phone line, antenna line, and RJ-45 Ethernet line into mine, then sealed it all with fireproof caulk around it, then a fire retardant padded block glued with fire/heat resistant glue to the safe above the wires, hanging down to cover the opening between it and the wall.

Using those cables I ran inside, I have the hard drive that my security system (located elsewhere) records to, a custom alarm trigger, and custom wireless alarm dialer in case they cut the physical phone.

Last thought, if that location is a basement, the company I linked above has these wedges that are stackable to lift the safe off the concrete so that air can pass underneath to keep from rusting. In my case, it was on ground floor on concrete, but near utility room and the tiles would be above the bottom of the safe so that wasn't feasible. So, I primed both the concrete and bottom of the safe with original oil-based Kilz then painted them to seal the metal just in case...

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭

“Using those cables I ran inside, I have the hard drive that my security system (located elsewhere) records to, a custom alarm trigger, and custom wireless alarm dialer in case they cut the physical phone.”

fantastic idea!!! I love it!

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

@magicVapor1, PM me Brother.

I have another Mail Order source for you. (They also sell Firearms) So, you can not mention them here. (Competition.)

It's where I got my front door Organizational Kit. Etc. They usually have a pretty wide variety of Safe stuff.

I have a Cannon Widebody, similar to yours.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******

All my shelves have the material wrapped over the edges and stapled to the underside.

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭

Built custom shelves and just used felt. Cheap and works fine. I store mine in nylon pistol rugs, so padding was not an issue for me.

• Woodchuck10 Woodchuck10 Member Posts: 1

just bold a jail for all of it

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭

A cheap and easy alternative would just be more careful as you move things in and out.

Joe

Glad I could help

• Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, better prop that door good. Could crush the ole skull it it happens to fall on you.

Then a gain that safe might be for the folks that fire their guns like they came out of the box.😁