In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Brass 3 Gauge Shotshell and .58 Brass Shotshell

RPiratzkyRPiratzky Member Posts: 24 ✭✭

This weekend I acquired a couple of brass shotshells. The one is a Winchester 3 gauge that I have had before. However, look at the headstamp. I don't believe that Winchester would let a headstamp of "FUxKED DUCK" to go out the door. However, a normal 3 gauge would have WRA at 12 o'clock and the gauge of 3 at the 6 o'clock position. If somebody did stamp the additional wording, they have the steadiest hand I have ever seen. The 2nd one is a WRA brass shotshell with a headstamp of ".58". Anybody have any thoughts?

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

The 3 gauge is pretty rare without any additional head stamping. Maybe someone made a special order and even with the profanity Winchester made them. Money talks!

The .58 was a way to convert and use smoothbore muskets. I don't think that ammo was produced after WW1. Bob

• RPiratzkyRPiratzky Member Posts: 24 ✭✭

I spoke with RTG in Texas this morning and here were his thoughts. We know that Winchester stopped using the "WRA Co" headstamp in the early 1930's. However, the case is Winchester but it is from the late 1880's. If Winchester had stamped it, it would have been "W.R.A.Co". The .58 headstamp on the other case is the first time he has seen Winchester use the headstamp of ".58.

If Winchester had done the headstamp we would see the "WRA" at 12 o'clock and the "3" at 6 o'clock. We do realize that somebody stamped it. If you look the spacing is incorrect on the first letter "K" you can see that its not spaced correctly. If you look at the last "K" the spacing between the letter "C" and the letter "K" is not correct. You are correct that the 3 gauge is rare.

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭

Gordon Cavis - who was a moderator on Ask The Experts at one time and Bob Aldred were both very knowledgeable cartridge collectors - but neither has posted in a long time. The only other person I know in that league is Dave Call in Maine.

"It is best to e-mail us, as we are not always available by phone. However if needed, please call between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM (EST) Maine 207-648-4087. Leave a message and reason for your call and we will return your call."

Best Regards - AQH