In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

U.S. REVOLVER

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

Anybody know anything about these, I picked this up at a local gun show (.38 S&W cal.). These were made by Iver Johnson but I can't find much on them. I've got B. Goforth's book on I.J. but even he doesn't have much on them.

Comments

• IDOldGunGuyIDOldGunGuy Member Posts: 2

Try researching "US Revolver Co" or "U.S. Revolver Company", the trade brand that Iver Johnson made them under. They were manufactured around 1909 to 1936, and marketed for export and mail order sales. They were also never in the I.J. domestic catalogs, which is why you may have a hard time finding info on them. Most resources will refer to them as I.J.'s, but they're a slightly different variant, so try your SN research under that "US Revolver" name instead of I.J.

Hope it helps!

P.S. - Since you have a 38 S&W, it falls under the "Large" frame ("Small" = 22 rimfire, "Medium" = 32 S&W). Appears to be the standard 3-1/4" barrel, although there may be some 2-1/2" and 5" models still floating around.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

I think I.J. used the U.S. Revolver name for their less expensive firearms. I believe that even though they look like the I.J. safety hammerless they didn't have the system, we call it a transfer bar, that prevented the gun from discharging if the hammer is accidentally struck. Otherwise it is a fairly well built revolver and should be a fun shooter. Bob

• IDOldGunGuyIDOldGunGuy Member Posts: 2

Also made from excess spare parts of the I.J.'s! 😁 There is some dispute on price: some collectors maintain that the prices were identical & it was just sold through different channels (mail-order vs brick-&-mortar store), I haven't looked into it enough to compare original prices from authenticated sources, but I've always heard the same that they're the discount version.

You're correct, the US didn't have the "Hammer-the-Hammer" safety system of the I.J., that & branding are pretty much the only difference.

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

thanks guys, a lot more than I had before.

• forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Mike, I’ve got the brother to your U.S.. Revolver ,,, hammer less ,,,,, although made by Iver Johnson. Better know as an ‘Owl Head’ ,,,,,😉

It belonged to my great uncle who delivered the mail on horseback in Oklahoma, and he was required to carry a gun.

• yonsonyonson Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

There is a short section on identifying 1st, 2nd and 3rd models in the article on I.J. in Wiki.....

• chmechme Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭

IJ was going thru the change from black powder to smokeless, and they had all these spare parts for black powder guns laying around- and one of the staff said "Hey! I've got an idea !" Seriously.

The US Revolver guns were used to salvage the value of older parts. To hold down costs, they were a simpler design (as noted, no "Hammer the hammer" transfer bars), and they were direct mail order sales (Can you hear the liberal screams/)

They should be considered as black powder guns- light loads of smokeless would probably not be a safety issue, but a lot of shooting will loosen up the gun.

Decent little gun for the time and for the money- it fitted well in a man's pocket, a lady's handbag or under a merchant's counter.

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭

Search collectable firearms. Type in antiques, type in U.S. revolvers. You will be amazed at what some of those old so called Saturday Night Specials are selling for.