In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stupid mishap...it happens...hurt my finger putting a barrel on a shotgun

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭

I was just thinking "its been a minute since I've hurt myself"....and this should have been a hint that something was going to happen.

I was putting the barrel on a semi auto shotgun.....talking to someone and not paying attention. The action slams shut and my left middle finger was on the barrel ring. So, it shaved a chunk out of the fingerprint are (about the size of a pencil eraser.)

I didn't even feel it....not right away. I had to stop and check to see if I got blood on the gun....thankfully, no.

It bled all day long. I thought I was going to have to run to an ER to get it to stop.

I've noticed that its standard practice for this sort of nonsense to happen if you have a lot to do with firearms or are around people that do.

My father used to have bandaids all around the store....its unavoidable if you work with mechanical type stuff that has no consitency. A slide slams shut and pinches the heck out of your hand....something leaning starts to fall, making the front sight a weapon that slashes someone......I've seen all kinds of craziness happen over the years. Especially if you are working on problems like my father used to do.

Thankfully, I'm just cleaning and putting things together here. I don't have to get tools involved....grinders....belt sanders....hammers (ha ha ha.)

The strangest ordeal I've witnessed was a customer that was dropping off something for my father to work on. They were going over things in the back of the store and the guy had leaned over his gun with his face down near the barrel....the action was open on whatever it was....it popped up off of the floor and hit him in the face. He left and the gun was repaired. When he came in to pick it up he had a * eye. Of course, the guys went bonkers when he walked in. He told us his wife thinks he fought a guy at a gas station that wouldn't stop begging for money. He didn't want to tell her he hit himself in the face with his own gun....she was after him to get rid of some anyway.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭

I hope you're feeling better Kasey....

I haven't been hurt by a gun yet... But I've been run over by a cow on a sedative I was trying to treat.

🙏🙏❤️❤️

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭✭

I thought you were going to say that your finger was in the ejection port when the action closed. Kinda like Garand Thumb. It happens, feel better.

• Options

I've never been bitten by a Garand, but a Hakim just about broke a bone one time. That is one complicated bunch of nonsense for sure.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

The oddest one in my experience was while shooting a Ruger Blackhawk that had been converted to .45-70. (That conversion is too complicated to explain here...) Anyway, the gunsmith was teaching a customer how to fire it, and insisted that it be shot one-handed so that the torque and recoil would take the gun up and left ending up over the shooter's left shoulder.

The customer, however, at the last moment, reached up and took a death grip on the gun with both hands. As the gunsmith tried to tell him, that took away the torque but not the recoil.

The gun came smartly straight back and impaled the hammer spur dead center just above the guy's eyebrows. Stuck there. REALLY stuck there. Imagine the look on the Emergency Room staffers when we rolled in with an extra-large Blackhawk decorating this guy's skull and blood everywhere.

BTW, when held correctly - with a moderate but not hard grip, and ONE-HANDED, a .45-70 Blackhawk is almost pleasant to shoot. We taught a twelve-year-old boy to handle it.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭

I hate that you got "bit". Be sure to keep it clean

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭✭

Many, many years ago my hunting partner of 55 years Gerhard got to close to scope and pulled the trigger in Adirondack Mountains. Opened up his eye brow really deep. I tried everything from 1st Aide kit in my pack even those sticks to stop bleeding when yo cut yourself. Finally got it stopped by compressing with gauge and ice cold water from mountain stream. Dried it up and used super sticky tape to close the gap. With a weeks supply in our packs and a pup tent we did not want to hike out the five miles in the bush to try and get medical help. He survived without help and a small scar. -----------------Ray

• Options
    edited May 2023

My son got his scope bite scar when he was 17 or 18 years old.. I still remember getting his phone call and meeting him at the ER for stitches

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******

Ouch!! Heal quickly.

Thanks for not saying the make or model, as the group of lawyers would force a ReCall on them,,

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******

That's no fun for sure. I don't know how I still have all my appendages. I've also been through times where I wished one would drop off to save some pain.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

so now when your hubby and kids ask you for something, just show them your bandaged finger🤣. Naw, your too sweet for that Kasey. Love ya,Oakie

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭

Been there, done that! The sadistic designers give those parts around the mag tube all a sharp cruel edge. I have a really odd left thumbprint that was caused by an original Winchester SuperX. No doctors visit, but it took several weeks to completely heal. Maybe that is why I gravitated to mostly shooting over and unders.🤔

Heal quick Kasey. Bob

• Options
    bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Heal quickly. If that happened to me, I would be passed out on the floor.(not kidding)

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭

Just did the finger shave on a knuckle putting an AMT Automag II back together with a new spring

• Options

I hate the knuckle cuts, they starting bleeding again whenever to bend the finger

• Options

My brother got a pocket knife for his birthday when we were younger. I was "looking" at it and managed to close it across the top of my finger....slicing it wide open. That took forever to heal! They took his knife away and put it up. He still reminds me of that to this day....no matter how many knives I give him to replace it.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******
    edited May 2023

I did the very same thing with one of those folding jackknives back in the mid '60's. Cut went right to the bone of my right index finger and I still live with that scar. When I saw the first locking blade type knife, I bought it and never looked back!

Speaking of being bit by guns, it all started for me with my ole Daisy Red Rider. Never forget to fully close the cocking lever before pulling the trigger!!! 😁