In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question on Henry single shot rifles

trawlertrawler Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

Last year I bought a Henry single shot rifle in .357 Magnum caliber. It's a beautiful gun and shoots well but something about it bothers me. There is clearly a gap between the rear of the barrel and the action face when the gun is closed. I have other single shots that don't have this gap when they are closed, for example the H&R singles and my Savage Model 219's and 220's. I have looked at several Henry rifles in gun shops and they all seem to exhibit this gap. Have you noticed this and does it bother you, too? Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

if the 'gap' is about the same as the rim on the cartridge, no problem.

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Trawler,

Good to hear from you. How are you doing?

Al

• trawlertrawler Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

Toolman, I am doing great. We moved to Gustavus, Alaska. There aren't any mountains here closer than 2-3 miles so we don't have to worry about another landslide. I can sleep well at night now even when it is raining! We do plan to return home to Virginia this Fall and be full-time grandparents again.

Mike Wiskey, I agree that there isn't a safety problem as the gap is smaller than the rim thickness. I just don't like seeing the gap as it looks "wrong" to me. If other companies like H&R can produce a single shot without the gap, Henry should be able to as well.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds pretty 'trashy' to me. Even ROSSI did a better job than that.

• Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭

Have you contacted Henry directly and asked them? Seems you would do best to get the info from the horses mouth.

Good idea, I'll let you know their response.

Henry replied that the clearance (gap) is needed for the rifle to open or close. They said the gap is set at .008 inch on the production line using a feeler gauge. I will be returning mine if the gap is greater than .008 inch. I think it exceeds that by a large margin but won't know how much until I get back home from a trip and can measure it.