In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ridiculous gun prices.

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing a lot of firearms, going for ridiculous amounts on several sites. One guy had a Henry big boy 41 mag, listed for 3,400. LMFBO. Was not GB. I know some prices are the, I told my wife I would sell it prices, But some are also pipe dreams. I search every day for 256 win mags, 218 bee's,257 Roberts, Marlin 38-55 and of course 41 magnums. These are the calibers I have and collect. Just started to look for a Marlin JM 45 colt in Cowboy. I better buy before they cost more than another house!!! What prices on firearms are you all noticing??? I won't even mention ammo prices. Thank god I reload.

Comments

• asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭

The Monson Mass. Dan Wesson 15-2 and FN49 come to mind. Back in '96 I bought a 15-2 VH with two barrels for $230, shipped. That one was new in box, so to speak. It still had the factory preservative in it that had stiffened up causing slow hammer fall. You can't buy a decent barrel and shroud for that price now.

The first FN49 I had was an Egyptian contract mud rifle that cost me $250 at a gun show. My second is a Venezuelan contract that appeared unissued. That one cost me a bit more at $380. Battle worn Egyptian rifles are commanding an exponentially higher price that that.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

To me all of the gun prices are nuts! Well not all, because some of my stash just hasn't appreciated much.😖

But I am not the right guy to voice his opinion because I remember paying less than a hundred bucks for a new Winchester 94 and the ammo was about $5 a box. I bought an Ithaca SKB shotgun for $160 because the Rem 1100's were $70 more at the time. Back then, $70 was a lot of money! Bob

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******

I'll never have a 70's Colt Python in Royal Blue finish

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

I passed on an FN49 Egyptian a few years ago for $600. Been kicking myself every since.

• Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭

I was in local gun store not long ago and I saw a Rossi lever action .22 it really looked just a little better than a Red Ryder BB gun. 399.00

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

I think it depends on what you’re after. If it’s walnut furniture and highly polished, finely blued steel in classic platforms…. yeah, you’re going to pay a premium now. However, if you’re open to newer, more utilitarian stuff from non-traditional brands, there are deals to be had.

• 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭

Yup.......I probably won't get.....another......one. 😉

The 8" one, that I bought about 1980, got sent to Metal-Life long ago for a "stainless-like" finish.

After doing some action work.......years on....I bought a new blued 6" barrel for it, but have yet to fit it.

Python......a hard to beat double-action. 😎

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,817 ✭✭✭✭

Have you guys seen the price of a Remington 870 Marine. Geez Louise.

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭

The 'ol five shot Saturday Night Specials are the most shocking to me. And they are selling at rediculously high prices. I have my Grand Dads H&R .38 and it is a $600.00 plus gun. His pristine Army Special is worth about the same. Go figure.

• trawlertrawler Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

The prices that I am shocked by most are the Mosin Nagant rifles and M95 revolvers. Seems like the rifles and revolvers sold for $100 or less for over 20 years. Now they are about 5 times as much. Also Remington Nylon 66's have increased significantly.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I've gambled my custom XP-100's are going to appreciate in value. 🤔

Firearm works of Art. Just Gorgeous. 👍

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭

If I think they are overpriced,I have no problem letting the owner keep them.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Marlin Camp45's and Camp9's have gone way up also. (I have a very nice Camp 9.)

M38 and M44's as well.

Winchester 1897 (take down)

K98 (was a 1915 Gewehr 98, Nazi Arsenal reconfigured to a K98 in 43')

A couple "Flaming Bomb," Riot pumps.

A beautiful 1952 Win 94 w/gorgeous furniture.

Etc. Very wide ranging eclectic collection.

• wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭

It seems as though everything has really went up in price and then when you add shipping, taxes and a ffl transfer you are in for quite a bit

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
  • kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭

I hadn't realized Egyptian FN 49 rifles were valuable. I bought mine in July 1989 for $125 delivered (shipping then was $6 long gun, $3 handgun). I just looked and they are approaching M1 Garand prices. Mine was pretty beat-up when I got it and I shot a lot of old, corrosive, dime- a-round 8 m/m ammo. They are prone to break firing pins so I have several of those and I bought a brand new surplus barrel which I never put on. It is a rugged old war-horse.

In the late '80s 'Shotgun News' was full of old military surplus rifles, handguns and ammo. They were cheap and everybody figured they would stay cheap. I bought 4 of the 1937 Brazilian S&W .45s in 1988 and about 1990 a dealer told me they would never return the money because the country was flooded with thousands of them.

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

My father has 2 of them, NIB from his gun store. He loved them, so he kept them when he sold the business. One goes to me and the other goes to my son. Trust me when I say, I can really wait to get that gun. I would rather have my father.

On another note, My Winchester model 88 collection, never really increased in price, like other firearms. I think in part was there were so many made. The only two that ever really increased significantly was , the 284 and the 358, which is up around four grand. My transition model, is almost unattainable. If you find one, you have a great investment. I bought mine when nobody was really collecting them. Oak

• FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Anybody remember Roses Dept Store? I vividly recall racing for the Sunday paper sale ads to see what guns Roses had each week. Enfield Jungle Carbines & SMLE’s, the whole Norinco batch (SKS, MAK-90, etc.), Mosin-Nagants……pretty much the full array of surplus rifles.

At the time, I remember all of the above went from between $59 to $89 at our local store. I begged and pleaded, but my parents just acted like I was a crazy, murderous lunatic by being interested in guns like that. By the time I turned 18, the good times were over and guns at Roses was just a memory. I hold a grudge against my folks to this day about it. 😩

• Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

Buyers set the price on anything for sale.

Too high, walk away.

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

In 1971 I passed up a chance to buy an iron frame Henry rifle for $400.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭

The pawn shop I worked in used to RENT rifles for deer season. The basement had hundreds of 1903s, 1917s, various Mausers, and a smattering of Remchesters. The Rems and 1903s were mostly scoped and went first, but most of them eventually got rented. I remember one nicely restocked and sporterized 6.5 Swede that was in that group. It hardly ever got rented because of the "odd" caliber. Just as I was about to make an offer to my boss for it, somebody rented it for his wife, who fell in love with it. You know the rest.

That all ended with the coming of background checks, of course.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.