In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Biltmore Mansion

austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,907 ✭✭✭✭

Wifey and gang visited the Biltmore Mansion on their way to the ACC Championship game this weekend.

She tells me it was amazing.

Her pictures were just so so but I looked it up on line and whoa is it somethin else.. Any of you folks ever taken the tour?

Comments

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

Several years ago. Interesting place..

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭

I always wanted to go some years ago we were close but time would not allow it

amazing the money and power so few people had of course no personal income tax was a huge help

as a kid well even now 😐️ I can not image living that life style any thing you could possible want

politicians in your back pocket no rules you made your own . people were just pawns to be used up in your plan to get more money nothing else

well same today just not so obvious 😲

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,630 ******
    edited December 2023

I was there around Christmas 2003. The ultimate bachelor pad. Near where Allen Griggs lives.

• Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭

I've been a couple of times. Fantastic place to see.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,423 ✭✭✭✭

Wow. I hope the catsup king doesn't see that - with all the electricity being used.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

I am a little over a two-hour drive away and been a few times. It is amazing what wealth and having a monopoly like the Vanderbilts had can be able to afford.

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,213 ✭✭✭✭

I went down there one time at Christmas. They had 34 Christmas trees in 34 different rooms, it was pretty impressive.

My girlfriend buys an annual pass and goes down there several times a year. She likes to watch Downton Abbey, basically a British soap opera. I don't watch Downton Abbey.

Several years ago they had an exhibit of every costume in Downton Abbey. In one room, they had female mannequins wearing the dresses of the Irish maids. In the next room, male mannequins wearing the tuxedos of Lord Hammersmith. 34 rooms with the outfits from Downton Abbey, all shipped over from London. I did not make it to the Downton Abbey exhibit.

• patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

I was there near Christmas about 10 years ago. It is really unbelievable. I will never forget it.

• Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭

As much as I liked touring the mansion, I was even more impressed with the land the estate sits on. Beautifully kept and the kind of terrain you would never get tired of seeing.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,907 ✭✭✭✭
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

I have seen brief segments on TV and you tube about it

I don't recall off hand how many thousands of acres it was originally it was a impressive lot of land most was sold off but they still have a lot of land around it

As I stated to me anyway unimaginable the life style the Big money families at that time enjoyed

Their is a PBS series the men who built America ? or some thing like that from some years back but I will guess can still can be found truly a series to watch

Along with that statement after the great idea of taxes started being charged and just upkeep and servants what it would cost just to have it now

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't been there since the late 70s but I was as impressed with the greenhouse and grounds as with the house - and that's saying something.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,190 ✭✭✭✭

In the 70's we went on vacation to the outer banks of NC. While we stayed there we took a drive to see Biltmore. We were there most of the day until they kicked us out. It's an awesome place.

Joe

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder if Anderson Cooper (CNN) ever got to spend any time there as a child since he's a direct bloodline family member ?

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭

daughter #2 went there a year or two back and stayed 4 or 5 days, for a business retreat or something.

She got to fly hawks and maybe an owl, and either did a kayak trip or fly fishing among other activities.

She said it was a magical .

Mule.

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,909 ✭✭✭✭

Stopped there about 10 years ago. The other night we watched a movie called "A Biltmore Xmas"!