In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any Remington Nylon 66 fans out there??

Comments

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭

Wow..... I should have kept the one I had many years ago !!!!

• Options
    patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

You better believe it!!!

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,992 ******
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭

I had to look 2x crazy price I would have never guessed even close to that

I always wanted a Apache black stock chrome barrel receiver version but never found one I was willing to pay the price I passed up many that had not been taken care of rust scratches hard life type rifle

like most I was looking for that one still in the box or close to new as possible and at the asking price for the not so nice ones .😁

looking back i should have just bought one I thought was over priced at t the time.

doubt If I ever get one now

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Wow. That's Crazy.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭

I used to have quite a group of 'Nylons' including lever and bolt actions. Sold them in a time of financial distress. Each of my kids have a different version of the Nylon 66 series given to them when they were born. Probably the most valuable guns they own now.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭

I was a kid when they came out. A buddy had one. I thought it was kinda "Buck Rogers" in looks, but it simply never failed and was accurate to boot. Decades later, could have bought one from the gun store I worked in, but didn't. Even then, they were bringing more than a brand new 10-22 (which were about $75 then) and those were not my rich years.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭

They were good rifles, light and ahead of their times. Could polish stocks with lacquer buffing compound to a brilliant luster. Had several over the years and sold or traded all of them. Last gunshow I went to had an exhibitor with quite a collection.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭

I can’t remember how old I was before I learned why Remington decided to change the original designation and to name it a Nylon 66.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭

Sorta thought they were cool back in the day, but never owned one. Loooong after they were out of production, someone brought one to the gun counter totally disassembled. Seems he got in a little over his head and wondered if anyone could help him get it back together. Guess who got elected? Thank the good lord for you tube videos. I did have to call him back and have him look for missing parts that do tend to fly out when taking the gun apart, but he found them and with much cursing I got that pesky thing back together. Kinda made me glad I never bought one myself! Bob

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭

Midwest Gov. Conference? Must be really special. I have sold a couple 22 shorts for a grand though. USED to have several , alas no more.

• Options
    tnrangertnranger Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭

My son inherited one ,a black diamond stocked one from his grandfather. Neat little gun and shoots like a charm.

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,258 ******

I have never understood their appeal.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭

Me neither.........

Come to think of it.......I've only one 22lr autoloader rifle.

Got it at a closed-down garage sale, for 120 bucks........a Win 63.

Every time we went to the range, my son would "adopt" it. I had to settle for my grandfather's Win 61 Octagon barrel.......I was content.....to say the least!!😇

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭

' someone brought one to the gun counter totally disassembled. Seems he got in a little over his head and wondered if anyone could help him get it back together. Guess who got elected?'

My older Son took his apart when he was maybe 15-16 years old and I being the good Father put it back together w/o any utoob assistance. Had to make a couple of tools in order to fit springs back in place but finally got it done. 😅 

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,992 ******

Several years back we had a member here (don't recall who) that was very knowledgeable about the nylons.

At the time one of the more sought after ones was going for $1200, and we all thought that was nuts.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

as a young fellow I remember this being talked about and it was two years after I was born so it must have been impressive for time I think the old magazine adds for Remington had photos of him sitting on or beside all the blocks I think maybe where I read or heard about it 1st time

from the internet

AS NOTED IN JOSEPH VON BENEDIKT'S "THE Shootist" column this month, in 1959 Tom Frye used Remington Nylon 66.22 LR semiautomatic rifles to hit 100,004 out of 100,010 2.5-inch to 2.63-inch wooden blocks thrown into the air. The feat took 15 days of shooting for eight to nine hours each day.

Author: Hutchcroft, Joel J.

Geographic Code: 1USA

Publication: Shooting Times

I can not recall the number of times many for sure I read "do not take it apart you will be sorry" I think there is a spring of some variation that is a total PITA

I came close a few times I truly wanted the black stock chrome metal variation ( the hillbilly liking shiny things 😁coming out ) I just never found the right one in the condition at a price I could live with but now that price seems cheap