In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kentucky Lake

jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
With all the hot weather and dry conditions in the South. The fishing has been kind of slow there. Only the bluegills were biting good.[V]

Comments

• Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm headed off to The Moors on Ky Lake on Thursday for my annual trip. Hoping the weather is good and the crappie are biting. This will be the first trip down there with the new to me boat.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not been there in several years. The last time I was there it had been a hot dry summer, not as bad as this year though. We finally found the crappies the 2nd to last day of the trip. They were in 15-17 feet off points. We also caught a bunch of saugers at that depth also.
  • Options
    SahaganBetaSahaganBeta Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live near Kentucky Lake, but all of my fishing is with fly rod and reel, using poppers for the most part. Early in the season (April-June), before the onset of incredible beds of algae and other aquatic plants, the bays of Kentucky Lake were yielding huge bluegill, with an occasional two to three pound bass thrown in for good measure. I fish with bluegill sized poppers, knowing I can catch lots of bluegill, and every now and again, some less intelligent bass will go for it as well. I'd say I get a ratio of about one bass per 10 to 12 bluegill.

I also fished Clark's River (west of Kentucky Lake, and running into the Ohio at Paducah) earlier this year, by wading it. With the onset of the drought, the river narrowed enough that it's possible to cast clear across the river for most all of the mile long stretch I wade, which is near Murray, Kentucky. In Clark's River I could maintain my Bluegill, Sunfish, Shellcracker to bass ratio as noted above, but the bluegill ran smaller, and the bass ran bigger than what I can expect from the lake.

Finally, I lucked into a 4 or 5 year old pond, in which I caught my first ever flyrod bass. In about 12 fishing trips, I've managed to catch large catfish, the smallest over three pounds, the largest nearly five pounds, and quite a number of three pound or so bass, in all but two of my visits.

The fish are fed pellets, and so far, in those twelve trips, I've caught only a single bluegill. I suspect the catfish and bass have pretty much cleaned out the prey fish population. The pond is now at least three feet to four feet low, and with a bottom only 8 to 9 feet down, I'm having to try harder to get them to respond to top water lures. My last trip yielded only a single, three pound catfish.

Respectfully submitted by,

Sahagan