In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Trolling motor question

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
edited June 2022 in The Fishing Hole!
Is this motor strong enough for a 14' Jon boat?

qzjHS8c.jpg
spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is this motor strong enough for a 14' Jon boat?

qzjHS8c.jpg
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello RugerNiner - I have an aluminum john boat and a similar trolling motor. The thing I would say is it depends on where you plan to use it. If I am easing around in the "Okie" swamp north of me - going for blue-gills and flyers - then the answer is yes as there is essentially no current to work against and I am moving slowly. If I am in the Suwannee River - going after shell-crackers and red-breasted bream and the occasional "pout" (a type of catfish) the answer would be no. There the current would be a bit much for the trolling motor to work against - except now as we are in the season where the rainfall is sparse and the river is low and the current reduced.
    Catch a few for me!!! Best Regards - AQH
    Edit - if you go to www.lakecityreporter.com for December 8th - 2016 and look at the front page "A Dry Run"- you can see pictures of the Suwannee River at very low water right now.
  • GmartGmart Member Posts: 1
    80 Lb would work fine, heck you don't have to run it wide open! The only thing is the weight of the battery set-up in the boat. I assume you will have to run 2 12v batteries?
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    it may not be exact but it is something like 9-10 lbs of thrust equal one horsepower so with the 80lb you are looking at roughly 8hp with fully charged batteries. may not get you up on plane, but it should get you around the lake, if river fishing, go UPSTREAM first, then if battery starts to give out you have current to help with paddle if needed.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    Something is screwy here, I didn't post the original post, I did, however, post the comment below that that should have been the topic I posted. I have no idea who posted that OP.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif