In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm-08

bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
Just ordered a dies set and some 140 gr nosler ballistic tips to reload for my remington 700 varmint special. anyone got any loads they particularly like. these are for paper punching, not hunting.

I'm not an expert, but i did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just got a BLR in 7mm-08 and I hate to buy factory bullets. Can anyone suggest a load for whitetails? Most of my shooting will be in the 50 yd range (I hunt in a swamp) and I want ot use the heaviest bullet I can for this round.
    Watt yoo got?[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here another..just bought a 7mm-08 cal new , a Howa 1500, apart from the rubber stock ,now cured with a boyds :) it a fine made rifle. but......here we go !!

after just over a 100 rounds thru her, (cooled & cleaned every 5 shots) various factory ammo, federal, Winchester, norma etc she does a 1" zero from the box , so ok for new , I expect it to get better with use ...maybe , so @ 100yard 1" , take it to 200yard & best she do is 4" Hmmmmmm (not good) on a 4" steel gong ! take it to 300 yds with any ammo 120gr 140gr , 150gr or any home loads with various loads of between 36gr - 42 gr of powder & she will not group at all under 8" . I have checked the scope, mounts, ammo, crown....where do I go now ?? any ideas guys are welcome :)Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone use the 7mm-08 for competition shooting. I know a lot of people talk of the 6.5 right know over the 7.62N. But does the 7mm-08 have similiar advantages, seems like it would be a nice round as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is a good dual purpose load for hunting deer and elk. I've never loaded any 7mm-08. The nearest caliber that I own is a 7x57 Mauser. What is your experience with the 7mm-08?
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bperdue21,

It sticks in my mind that when I loaded these for a friend a few years ago. I used 40 grs. of 4895 which gave good velocity in lighter bullets. and 42-3(can't recall really well) of 4064 which he said did great on accuracy. Those are with the 140's. I really recommend cross-referencing as this was a few years ago I did this. I didn't get to see how the 4064 actually did for accuracy just what he told me.
    I'm thinking though that since this case likes slower powders I would work in the 4350, 4831, VV N160-5 N560 powders.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RL15, varget, N140. Good bullets you got too[8D]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    lawdog44lawdog44 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I barnes 120gr xbt with a good load of IMR 4350 for hunting
    whitetail in the big woods of pennsylvania