In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Brass cleaning

Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
I just put some new media ( tuffnut)
in the brass cleaner and it has left the inside of the cases with a red dust inside,i have always cleaned it out with rice or older media in the past but this time it is realy bad. Would you worry about it if it didnt come out completly clean ? Ive reloaded a lot of years and this seems to be the worst ever.

Comments

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anyone heard of or used a brass polishing item from the hardware store.
    edited November -1
    I bought some used brass at a gun show the other day, and it looked like brand new brass. It still had the spent primers in it, so I know it wasn't new. The guy at the show said, "it's our little secret", so I have no clue how he did it. Anyone have a technique for getting the inside to look as shiny as the outside?
    edited November -1
    I need to pick some brains. I have access to thousands of rounds of dirty to very dirty 9mm 40sw and 45 acp brass. Some of this is dark brown from exposure and some is bright on one side and discolored on the other from laying in shallow water. What is a good way to get this cleaned up? I have it separated by size in 5 gallon buckets so I could , in theory pour a solution in the bucket and let it sit. I live near a Cabelas store, so I was hoping they have a product that will WORK. As another option, are there brass dealers that will but it "as is" dirt and all or should I just save myself a lot of work and take it to the salvage yard for $1.68 per pound? Thanks in advance, all input is welcome Scott
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Ultrasonic cleaning with a suitable medium (detergent etc) will do that. If he's doing it commercially he must have a heck of an ultrasonic unit as the store bought ones in the $100 range handle up to maybe 30 rifle cases at a time.

Soaking in a white vinegar/water solution will get the inside pretty clean, but it does leave everything slightly orange colored- if he went that route he'd have to tumble afterwards for a final shine up.
  • greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a link to ultrasonic cleaning. I punch the primers out and then use ultrasound to clean my brass. They're clean inside and out before before I do any sizing. After they're loaded then they go into the tumbler-doing some right now-and they come out looking better than new. Dave
    http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by greystone
    Here's a link to ultrasonic cleaning. I punch the primers out and then use ultrasound to clean my brass. They're clean inside and out before before I do any sizing. After they're loaded then they go into the tumbler-doing some right now-and they come out looking better than new. Dave
    http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Thanks for the link Dave. I have an ultrasonic cleaner that I used to use in my camera repair business. But unfortunately I let the smoke out of it several years ago. I might have to go shopping on that other auction site again.[:)]