In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bullet question

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
I have some of the new .224 50gr Barnes varmint grenades. can i use the same load data that I would use for any 50gr. bullet or do i need to find barnes recomendations for their bullets

Comments

• hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seen something yesterday I haven't seen before. I was shooting at a distance of 300 yards, shooting my Ruger 77 chambered in 264 win mag, shooting 130 grain swift scirocco. I had one bullet hit the target completely sideways by the hole in the target. Is that a sign of the bullet not being stabilized or perhaps just a bad bullet? All other bullets made nice little round holes. They always group good at 100, but thought I'd stretch out a ways for a change. Twist in my rifle is a 1 in 9. Muzzle velocity is 3050 fps according to my crony.
    Thanks for thoughts and inputs.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only one keyhole, I'd guess a bad bullet.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hadjii,

It sounds like something is off in the balance of that bullet. Your load at that velocity should be stable down to a 1:10" twist rate.

Best.
  • hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I'll try shooting a couple more groups at that range, and see if I have any more bullets that do the same, and then make a determination. I will say this though. My very best accuracy with this rifle has came from 140 grain bullets and R17 powder.

I hope it was just a fluke. I have 4 boxes of them. They did a nice job on a nice 8 pt I shot in Louisiana last year. Deer took 3 steps and gave it up.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you load them, weigh them, might check the diameter too. Sometimes the bullet swedging stuff wears out of round a little before they catch it.

Back in the day Hornady actually shot groups with different lots of production for a check. A group opened way up so they started looking - 0.0002 in something was off. When corrected the groups returned to normal.

So what was you 100 yard group size?