In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lee Loader

Just recedntly picked up a Lee Loader. The all in one loading kit with the pre measured powder scoop. I am used to reloading with a rergular press, but have never tried one of these Lee loaders.
I got it, thinking this might be nice to take to the range and work up some different loads.

Has anyone tried the Lee Loader set up and whats your opinion on them? Are they fairly accurate?
I figured I would also take along a battery powered digital scales to re-check the powder scoop load.

Thanks ahead of time for you replies.

Comments

• mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    Information on this round 22/25
    edited November -1
    if you are interested in reloading and dont want to spend bunch of money buy a lee loader for $12 and see if you like it the lee loader will teach you the basics and the cost is minimal and you really can make some acurate loads I reloaded 1000's of rounds with them remember it only neck sizes the case so dont mix and match your brass with other rifles

Load on Sunday shoot all week!!!
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    That's what I started out loading 30-06 with in the early '60,s.
    They work as long as they are used in a single shot or bolt gun.
    Still have a couple of them around.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you'll find that a digital or beam scale will go nuts in even the slightest breeze. You may have to weigh your charges inside your truck. Except for that, and the disconcerting way a Lee Loader sets off primers when you try to hammer them in, it is a usable way to reload at the range.

If you really want to load at the range, get a hand primer tool.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee loaders work ok. I much prefer the Lyman 310 tool. Ebay has lots of them at good prices. My favorite is the steel tool that takes the incerts (1957). They just feel so much better in your hand than the aluminium newer style. If you work a dipper corectly it will yeild consistant results good enough for anything except match work. I usually make my dippers from the cartridge I'm loading and scratch the load on the side.
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    I think you'll find that a digital or beam scale will go nuts in even the slightest breeze. You may have to weigh your charges inside your truck. Except for that, and the disconcerting way a Lee Loader sets off primers when you try to hammer them in, it is a usable way to reload at the range.

If you really want to load at the range, get a hand primer tool.
    [/quote

I've heard about them setting off the primers once in awhile. So what I was going to do is prime the cases at home with my rcbs hand primer, before I went to the range.
    edited November -1
    Never heard of the lyman 310 tool. I will have to check it out. Thanks!