In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Primers

Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
I am a newbie to reloading so please do not laugh. I am going to reload for a 45 auto and a 380 auto. I plan on using Winchester primers. Large pistol for the 45 Auto? Small pistol for the 380 Auto? mttrapper[:)]

Comments

• Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
    edited November -1
    i'm on the hunt for hulls that take a #57 and/or #157 primer. i can use 12/20/28/410 ga hulls
    edited November -1
    Just curious, if I do not have the exact primers that are called for in the recipe is it ok to use something different? Cases, same question? What if used Winchester cases instead of Nosler, FC, Remington, etc?

Thanks
    edited November -1
    Hi; I'm new to reloading, and need an answer.
    I have a new LEE turret press, and i insert a new primer on the up stroke, after punching out the old primer. The manuals i read say not to touch the primers. My question is, How do I put the primer into the primer insertion piece without using my fingers? Thanks; Mike
    edited November -1
    I spilled some large rifle primers on my bench, but there was some large pistol primers on the bench too, they look the same, how can I tell them apart. or what is the difference? many thanks, joe
    edited November -1
    Is it all right to use cci magnum large rifle primers in my 300 weather magnum.
    edited November -1
    Can anyone tell me what's the deal with the primer shortage?
    edited November -1
    are federals better then winchester for handguns?
    edited November -1
    How much difference is there in brands of primers? I haven't been re-loading long and used mainly WSP and some CCI. With the lighter loads I use, I find that CCI seems to leave my gun much dirtier than WSP.
    If I try a different brand, should I load a few and chrono them for comparison?
    edited November -1
    I am beginning to reload 40S&W. One of my manuals list winchester WSP primers and another list CCI 500 small pistol primers. I am loading 165 grns FMJ over power pistol powder. I want to know what is the different in the two primers and are they interchangable. Thank for any information.
    edited November -1
    Ok now guys i see all kinds of primers some have numbers behind them so do not like the rem small rifle primer 6-1/2 or 7-1/2 is there a chart somewere to see what the different primers fit what like 222 223 243 small and large rifles primers pistol primers would be a good tool to have on hand thanks
    edited November -1
    I have some magnum primers,never used them before.Whats the difference with them,I know they are more powerfull but when are they used and what sort of loads.
    edited November -1
    I got a hold of a bunch of small pistol primers but they are for magnum loads. Can I still use them for standard laods and just adjust my powder or is there a danger i dont know about?
    edited November -1
    Widener's has Wolf Small Rifle Mag primers for those with fast fingers that need em. Large pistol too.
    edited November -1
    how do you determine what primer to use??? Some say to use a small pistol primer for the 22 hornet. Why Not a small rifle primer??? I dont know and Iam just learning. I have all the newest reloading manuals from speer and hornady vol.7 but they dont tell you how to derive at a specific primer like they do powders or am I just not reading far enough.You guys seem to know your stuff and have helped me in the past. Thank you Oakie
    edited November -1
    Is there a chart with primer charger rates?

as to which is more powerful in comparison
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If changing components you should always back off a bit and work back up. I use magnum primers in loads that call for standard, but I always start low and work my way up.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some primer are hotter than others and some cases are thicker. I you ran a milder primer in a thinner case you should be good with that data, however a hotter primer in a thicker case could cause serious issues with that same data.

Start low and work up is a good safe way to go. Often the most accurate loads aren't the hottest. I do more often have the best luck with full or lightly compressed charges in rifle loads. Some cartridges are way more sensitive than others, the 17 Remington is an example.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=589714
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As mentioned and advised in all the reloading manuals I've read--back off up to 10% (basically start over) when changing major components.
    edited November -1
    I am going to load a lot of .223 soon. As of now, the only primers I have been able to find locally are BR4 CCI. I am using Winchester 748 powder and nearly all my cases are from military surplus. They are marked FC. None of the loads I can find use this case or primer. I am planning to load up a few rounds at a reduced amount of powder to start. Are the BR4 primers hotter than the standard CCI primers? Are they hotter than a win or Remington primer? Any reply appreciated.
    Thanks
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The BR means bench rest. They are just more consistent as to burn rate so with the same powder grains you get the best grouping [;)]
    edited November -1
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.