In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading Question

gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
what can i do to make my loads more accurate? have been thinking about turning the necks,using a neck bushing die,micrometer seating die an not crimping the case. am i on the right track or just wasting money

Comments

• gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've thought about getting reloading equipment for my .357, but I'm unsure on what all I'm going to need. Does anyone have any advice for a newbie?
    GH1[:)]
    edited November -1
    As many of you know I have recently started reloading. I have learned alot of different things by reading around on the internet and watching youtube videos. I have one question that i can not find an answer to, and i was wondering if you guys could help me. I have a Lee Colet Dye set for .270 WIN and when i'm done seating the bullet, i can easily push the bullet down inside the case (when i say "easy" i mean with like less than 2 lbs of force). Is this normal?!? I want to get a factory crimp dye, but i dont have any bullets with a cannelure.
    Can you only crimp bullets with a cannelure?? I'm thinking about getting the lee factory crimp dye. But i'm wondering if this will solve my problem.

Thanks for any advice.
    edited November -1
    Helped Dad reload many years ago and got myself into it a few years ago with a mentor to bring me up to date. I load or will be loading 22 Hornet, 222, 223, 7mm TCU, 308, 30-06, and 7mm Mag.

I have a Sierra 3rd and 10th, Hornady 7th, Speer 10th, and Lyman 46th.

Are there any I don't have that I should get?
    edited November -1
    I am interested in reloading 9, 40, 45 pistol rounds and 270, 30-06, 7 Mag and 30-30. What would be the best powder. Also which takes small and large primers.

Also about how many 45 rounds would be in 1 pound of powder.

Also about how many 7 Mag rounds would be in a pound of powder.

Thanks David
    edited November -1
    I am new to reloading:

I was full length resizing and decapping some .223 once fired brass.
    I had previously cleaned it in stainless steel media.
    I broke a decapping pin and thought maybe i had a crimped in primer? So i took a look at the case and this was not the case. so i replaced the pin and continued. About a dozen cases later same thing happens. So i look in the case and i see 2-3 stainless pins wedged in the bottom of the case. Heres the question: 1. What are the ramifications of the pins remaining in the case(I.E. missed when i decapped the case)2.Has anybody else had this issue? If so what is the remedy for correcting this...short of the obvious answer which is visually inspect every case or stop using S.S. media. Thanks for you help.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forums!

Do a search on the subject. Many threads deal with this subject, quite often. One of the package deals from Hornady, Lee or RCBS will have just about every thing you will need.

Buying a new reloading manual, reading and understanding the art of reloading is the best place to start.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy this book -- ABC's or reloading.
    http://www.amazon.com/Abcs-Reloading-Definitive-Novice-Expert/dp/0896896099/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230306380&sr=1-1

Then if you have the cash buy a Dillon Progressive reloader. With the Dillon you can load 4x's the ammo of most single stage or turret presses.

I'm using a Lynman All American turret press that one of the members gave me here. It does the job but is alot slower than a Dillon.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    Welcome to the forums!

Buying a new reloading manual, reading and understanding the art of reloading is the best place to start.

+1! have an idea what you want before you buy it. Also, after you decide on getting equipment, try and find someone who reloads who can help walk you through the steps. Hopefully they can also help you get an idea on some equipment to get you going in a safe direction.

I suggest no matter whether pistol or rifle you go with a single stage press to start with. Once you get all the "how's and why's" figured out and you shoot a bunch, then you can move up to a progressive.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    +2 on bposts post
    but I've been loading for 50 years and still havn't gone the progressive route...
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I have some homework to do. I'm still trying to decide how much I have to shoot to get a return on my investment, and if I'll shoot that much. But I like to research things before I plunge into them, it generally saves me money, time, & aggravation.
    GH1[:)]
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the Lee reloading kit with the Lee reloading manual. It's got everything you need minus dies and components. midwayusa.com has an outstanding selection for everything else (and the kit as well.)

happy reloading.