In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

scales

I have a set of rcbs 505 scales is a set of ele. scales better to have?

Comments

• tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    I have been using a beam scale but want to get a electric scale,are they very accurate.I have never used one.Thanks in advance for any info you guys post.
  • 20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been using a 505 for probably 40 years. Why would i change now. Ohaus makes a good set of scales for RCBS don't they.
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 20gabob
    Been using a 505 for probably 40 years. Why would i change now. Ohaus makes a good set of scales for RCBS don't they.

im just getting started is why im asking [:D]
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,185 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Digital scales are a lot handier if you are weighing/sorting a lot of things like cases, bullets, arrows and such. They are also much harder to MISread and have no movable poise weights to get in the wrong slot.

Beam scales are simpler, need no electricity and are perfectly adequate for most reloading needs.

Both types are sensitive to drafts and static electricity. Both are a lot more accurate than they need to be for reloading.

If you have one, there's no need to change to the other unless you have a specific need (like sorting things).
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Rocky on this. I used regular beam scales for decades and all was fine. I did get an electric scale/dispenser this year. I love it for sorting and the speed I can spool up a bunch of anything with extruded powder. The down side is that you need to reload a lot to justify the cost (or just have extra money) Both will get the job done very well