In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Geox makes a cartridge grade black powder. You could use 2f but I think 1f may be more appropriate. The finer the grade of powder the higher the pressure and velocity.
  • PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have successfully loaded my .45-70's (A Springfield Trapdoor and a Large Martini rebarreled) with black powder, using Goex FFG black powder. You will find that a drop-tubed and compressed case full won't yield more than the low 60's grains area by weight, I couldn't find room for the original 70 grains. I think it is mostly due to the original cases, called balloon-head cases, had a greater internal volume. I use standard Large Rifle primers and a 405 grain (nominal wieght) cast bullet with plain base and black-powder lube. I ground my metal Lyman powder measure to avoid static sparks.
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Swiss powder makes a 1.5 F that lots of guys use for 45- 70. But 2F, or Goex Cartridge, or Goex Cowboy would be fine. Actually one of the best powders around is Graf Brothers. It is economical and you can order a case, and share with your friends to spread out the haz-mat fee.
    edited November -1
    Well if you make the trip, buy enough to last you 10 years. Black powder doesn't deteriorate, the price is only going to go up, and availability might be questionable in the future.
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44caliberkid
    Swiss powder makes a 1.5 F that lots of guys use for 45- 70. But 2F, or Goex Cartridge, or Goex Cowboy would be fine. Actually one of the best powders around is Graf Brothers. It is economical and you can order a case, and share with your friends to spread out the haz-mat fee.

Do you mean Graf & Sons?? Their house powder is made by Wano and is the same as Scheutzen.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Goex FFg with both 405 and 500 grain cast bullets. I don't use a drop tube but I use a powder compression die and can get 70 grains into modern Winchester cases. Starline cases don't hold as much.
    edited November -1
    Yes, I mean't Graf and sons, it's good stuff. I usually go by their warehouse once a year while traveling on business and always stop by for a case or two.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by k_townman
    I thought it was the other way around. That the corser granulation gave more power?
    I'll never switch, but real blackpowder has gotten harder to get around here. The nearest Goex dealer, to me, is in Wyoming.

I believe and I might be wrong that the more F's the more power.
    i.e. you get more granuals of FFF in a set powder measurer than you would FF.
    I'm not for sure though. I know that I shoot FFF in my .50 rifles but shoot FF in my smoothbore.
    edited November -1
    I'm not a chemist - and havent stayed in a Holiday Inn Express in a looooooong time; but, IIRC more f's = smaller granules = faster burn rate = higher pressure = more power. Which is the reason you don't use ffffg powder in cartridges.
  • MontanianMontanian Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had the same puzzlement and haven't stayed recently enough at Holiday Inn Express to say for sure. But Sam Fadala's "The Complete Blackpowder Handbook" (and he even lives in Wyoming) from Gun Digest books is an outstanding and quite detailed reference. SPG Lubricant in Cody, Wyoming publishes an excellent and highly detailed magazine "Black Powder Cartridge News" that's full of veterans addressing this exact question for various rifles, obsolete cartridges, conditions, etc.. Black powder formulations vary considerably from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as the ingredients they use. Be very careful how you store it if you stock up, remember cans of blackpowder are how we blasted railroad tunnels and mineshafts through mountains so an accident's unlikely to be kind to your balloon-frame wood house![:)]
  • mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What rifle will you be shooting the black powder loads in? The SPG Black Powder Cartridge Reloading Primer has loads for 45-70 using both ffg and fffg Goex powders and Shiloh/original Sharps rifles. If you use a compression die, you should be able to get 70 grains of powder in a case using up to 420 grain bullets. The original Trapdoor used 405 grain bullets and 70 grains powder.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Montanian
    Black powder formulations vary considerably from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as the ingredients they use. Be very careful how you store it if you stock up, remember cans of blackpowder are how we blasted railroad tunnels and mineshafts through mountains so an accident's unlikely to be kind to your balloon-frame wood house![:)]

BP used to blast tunnels is a totally different animal than powder used for firearms. g grade powder (as in ffg) is for firearms; a grade powder (as in ffa) is for blasting.