In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

8mm Mauser

tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
My father put a 8mm Mauser onto one of those synthetic stocks. It has the rail and he wants a cheap but decent scope. Give me some suggestions, it would be a surprise if I got him something nice.

Comments

• tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    I have a old 8mm mauser that I'm trying to use as a hunting gun but have problem getting spent cartridge out of barrel. I'm using new ammo not surplus can anyone help me
    edited November -1
    Well, I think I decided to buy an 8mm Mauser when I get my first paycheck in about a month....I looked at one, I believe a model 98, for 130 bucks...is that a decent price? Also found a site online that offers loads that outperform Federals standard 30.06 loads, but they were 33 bucks a box, plus another 12 dollars if under 5 boxes are ordered, and a 30 dollar handling charge...does anyone know any sites where I can find good hunting loads for less than that? Federals factory loads are the only legal hunting load I saw in store, and their ballistics are ok, but not even nearly that good. Thanks again!

shoey
    edited November -1
    can anyone tell me anything about a 8mm Mauser
    it has
    waffenfabrik
    Mauser a.g.
    oberndorfa / n.
    it has three eagles on the top of the bbl. and a cir around what looks like a triangle. i belive the ser.# are 5800 because it has it on the side of the bbl. and on the side of the reciver
    it also has d144s on the top of bbl. and ? em 98 on the side Ill try to post a pic. but it will be this weekend before i can so
    if any pne can tell me anything about it and maybe a price it might be worth.
    thanks and sorry for the long post

clay
    edited November -1
    I have had this rifle for twenty years it was purchased by my father in 1957 from the Military. They were issued with a option to buy originally for protection from Polar Bears. it was modified in 1975 to accommodate a 3X9 Bushnell trophy scope for Dear Hunting. it has the stepped barrel and the sliding sight arm was remove for the scope fitment The only Number I can see easily is 652 stamped on the Barrel and trigger housing. I was thinking of selling as I have not hunted in years and I have several older Guns for keeps sakes. any Ideas on what It might be worth. It is in Great shape and has not been fired for over 10 years now.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    What you have started life as a 29" barreled, Lange sighted, Gew 98 German army rifle as used in WWI.
    What it is now will have to wait for the photos, but it kinda sounds like a rehabed transition model.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    What you have started life as a 29" barreled, Lange sighted, Gew 98 German army rifle as used in WWI.
    What it is now will have to wait for the photos, but it kinda sounds like a rehabed transition model.

heres some pic what do you think it may be worth
    DSC01884.jpg
    DSC01886.jpg
    DSC01877.jpg
    DSC01876.jpg
    DSC01878.jpg
    DSC01879.jpg
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's basically a military rifle in an aftermarket stock, with the original stepped barrel having been reblued and the bolt turned down.
    I'll say about $150.00.