In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Browning B2000

MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
My dad was having problems with his B2000 20 guage ejecting the spent shell and having to manually extract it. I figured it needed the gas piston cleaned, so I downloaded an owners manual and stripped it down, cleaned the piston parts, and put it back together. We tried it out over the weekend and it's still not right. It will kick the shell out, but stove-pipes the empty. I took the barrel off and checked the gas ports and they were clear, but haven't taken the piston down again, to check if I didn't get it back together correctly. Any ideas?

Comments

• MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just aquired one of these...12Ga, barrel is 26" Improved Cyl, 2 3/4". Will these Guns shoot 3" if one has a 3" barrel? What is the overall reliability of the B2000? Any things I should know about the gun? Mine was made in 1975. THANKS!!!
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning B2000 12 ga, barrelled for 3" mag. I want to use it to hunt doves. But, as many of you know, it won't eject 2 3/4" shells reliable enough to take to the field. Some people have suggested drilling out the gas port. Has anyone had experiance doing this? I believe the Beretta A-302/303 mags had the same problem.

FYI...new replacement barrels are expensive and I've been unable to find a used one.

Thanks
    edited November -1
    Friends, one more Browning question: As to the B2000, I am told that there is/was a 3" magnum model as well as a 2-3/4" model and the 3" magnum model will not properly cycle 2-3/4" shells. However, the 3" chamber barrel can be replaced with a 2-3/4" chamber barrel and all will be well. That doesn't right to me as it seems to me that any adjustment, if there is one, would have to involve something other than the barrel. Was this a gas-operated or a recoil gun? Now here is my situation: a friend of mine (I know, they all say that)has a B2000 that he says shoots the 3" shell just fine but will not cycle 2-3/4's but he is told by a neighbor that all he needs is a 2-3/4 barrel. Is that so? If it is I will get the gentleman (a co-worker) a 2-3/4 chambered barrel so he can use the gun more. Thanks for the help. Best, Jim

timbroman@aol.com
    edited November -1
    seeking skeet barrel 12ga 2 3/4 reasonably priced
    edited November -1
    hello-are the b2000 20 gauge guns built on a smaller reciever or are they just a 12 gauge receiver with a 20 gauge barrel on them?
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    they are usually a less expensive gun (for a browning) and were not very popular. Brownings first attempt to get away from the a-5 and move toward modern technnology of gas operated action (they shouldn't have bothered) but then, the remington model 59 was no jewel either.
    its basically the same as the Beretta , The 2 3/4 inch chambered barrel had two gas ports to cycle with lighter loads while the 3 inch chambered barrel had one gas port. The 3 inch barrel would not cycle light loads reliably. Therefore you had to own multiple barrels for different types of hunting. the barrels can be more expensive because they have choke tubes
    So if you use the 3 inch barrel, you probably have to shoot three inch shells (or magnum 2 3/4 powder loads) to get it to cycle.
  • thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After I bought my B2000 for 3" shells, found it wouldn't cycle the

lighter loads. My only problem was the length of the fired shell

would get stuck in the ejection port opening. Not a stovepipe, but

the entire length got hung up. It would have worked fine with

rolled crimp shells. So I ran some slugs thru it (2 2/4") with the

rolled crimp and it shot straight.

The pheasant trip went like this, fired 2 quick shells at the

bird and missed and the 2nd shell got stuck in the port. I cleared

it fast and got the 3rd shell chambered and now the bird is 80 yards

away and I hit it dead. Fell thru a tree beyond heavy brush, my dog

went thru the brush and sat down next to a dead bird.

I sold my gun and you may have better luck my .02 cents.