In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Browning BPS

David2David2 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
Hi everyone,
I have a Browning BPS 20 gauge pump. It was manufactured in 1983. The barrel is not set up for a choke, and I am wondering if it will be ok for duck hunting. It will hold both 2 3/4 and 3" shells. Someone at Dick's told me that these non-choke barrels are set up like a full choke barrel. Is this true or should I be looking for another shotgun? Thanks

Comments

• David2David2 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning BPS I'm looking to sell to make room for my new 1187 I just bought. I loved the Browning but I'm and auto guy now. I bought this gun a few years ago from a guy who won it at banquet or something. The gun has has a 28" barrel, and is the invector plus field model. Hardly used it, as I also enjoy my 870 and my old Remington Sportman 58 16 guage auto. This is a really sweet gun it has dark walnut stock and engravings on each side, one with ducks and the other side has pheasants. I would bet that I haven't shot 30 shells through this thing in 3 years (I guess I just don't miss!!). What would a guy expect to get for something like this? I paid just about $400 for it back then, I would assume it's worth at least that being that the guy needed cash and I was Johnny on the spot. I don't have the extra choke tubes, but have a manual I printed off the Internet (Browning's web site).
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning BPS that I duck hunt with. I have had for a long time and I don't even want to know how many boxes of shells have been through it. We are just finishing up our teal season here in Louisiana and on the last couple of hunts I have made the gun has locked up after I shot it. You could not pump it to get the spent shell out. You would have to hold the forearm and bump the stock on the ground to break it loose. I took the gun apart, thinking it just needed a good cleaning and I noticed that on the underside of the barrel where the ejector grabs the lip of the shell to pull it out there is a little hair line crack and a small chip in the blueing. This does not look like a major deal but obviously it is not suppose to be there. The steel is a little rough in that area. Now I don't have a problem ejecting a shell everytime and never a shell that is not shot. I am going to try and clean the gun real well this weekend and shoot it and see if it is still hanging up. Has anyone had any experience with a problem like this? Does this sound like something that would cause a problem like that? I am thinking if it is still hanging up I am going to just buy a new barrel for it. I don't want to bring it to a gunsmith because it doesn't sound like I will have it back for the duck season. I am going to try to fix it myself. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    edited November -1
    I have a bps browning with a 26 inch vent rib and a 24 inch buck special barrels. This gun is in exellent condition, but i think i have too much money in it. For people who know what these guns are worth, what do you think a gun like this is worth?12 gauge, three inch chamber, fired about 50 times in all. This gun also has some of the things new bps guns don't have like, magasine cutoff, high gloss walnut stocks, and blued reciever.
    edited November -1
    I've been working on a BPS. I took it apart and when I put it back together I must be doing something wrong. I put the bolt back in and the piece that goes under the bolt for it to slide on. What make the part that throws the shells out the bottom work. The bolt won't lock pu when you push the slide forward. I don't know the names of these parts. Can anybody help me. I've got several books on brownings but none of them show the disassembly of a BPS. Thanks. Sam.
    edited November -1
    has anyone shot the browning bps with the backbored barrel? does the backbored barrel really make a difference..
    edited November -1
    I have an older browning bps 12 w/ 30" full choke barrel. It has a selector at the base of the tube feed to turn it in to a single shot. Any ideas if this was standard? What is the value? Thanks
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning BPS 32" rib vent barrel in 12 gauge with 3 chokes thinking about getting rid of it wandering what it would be worth thnx
  • farfromnormalfarfromnormal Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest at least having a gunsmith look at it. Take it apart and clean it as good as possible. Then take it to a 'smith that has time to look at it while you are there. He should be able to tell you if it is safe to shoot.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello a crack is dangerous and that part should be replaced however a burr can be stoned down or polished out you most likely have a build-up of plastic off the many shells and the chamber area needs to be really cleaned. I have a bps and for some reason the plastic in steel shot shells leave a coating of crud in the chamber more then field shells. i
  • Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have the part NDTed (non-destructive tested) to determine the extent of the "crack". A dye penatrant test is quick and inexpensive and will help determine if the part is still serviceable. This service may or may not be available in your area.
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Try to get a new barrell from browning first
  • beararms2beararms2 Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let Browning know, it might be something they consider defective and might replace it. I own a BPS 10 ga. myself, ran a couple of thousand rounds thru it w/ no problems, including some "hot" reloads. Don't know how well Browning handles warranty/replacement issues, but given their reputation I would give it a try.