In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt 1911

chicoppeechicoppee Member Posts: 312 ✭✭
edited December 2018 in Ask the Experts
Edit: got answer

Comments

• chicoppeechicoppee Member Posts: 312 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ten years ago I still had my FFL 93-95, and had a parts .45 target auto set up on my table at a local Indianapolis show, an old gentleman said he was looking for a pistol like that and said he had something to trade. He opened a case to reveal a dark blued Colt 1911, with a two tone mag and instruction manual dated 1918. We swapped and this pistol is sitting in the bottom of my gun case forever, I dated it through the serial number to 1915 and colt said it was shipped to the US Army on the mexicam border. This part of the ol guys story checks out cause he said his Dad used it against Poncho Villas, forces in 1916. Now strange thing though three (3) small angle file notches are in the mag well bottom of the frame ^^ ^
    Old guy said his Dad killed three men and notched the pistol each time. This is the story I wonder about. Anybody know how true this could be? The pistol is all original 1911 Colt, could someone just keep it from Uncle Sam all these years? For that matter could it have been used in WW II? Doesnt look re-blued or arsenal refinished to me. All parts and proofs match, bbl marking is correct. Each time I take it to a show, very rare these days, a so called expert looks at it, says something like "Yea an old Colt 1911" Wanna sell it? and thats it. I keep hoping the Antiques Road Show will stop by, but other than that I often wonder what I have and what its worth? Thanks for any info.
    edited November -1
    I am looking for a value for a Colt 1911 Army issue, it is NIB with ammo. The ammo includes flare rounds, as the weapon was issed to my father in 1941 when he was an Army Air Corps pilot.
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that has a colt 1911 in super 38 automatic it is silver with engraving on slide and frame with a swartz safety and has a ring on left side at bottom for the lanyard it has ivory grips. It looks to be made about 1931 serial number is 5 digit. can anyone help us with the value of this gun? Thanks
    edited November -1
    In the market for a .45. Thinking about a Colt 1911. Any suggestions.
    edited November -1
    I was wanting to build a colt 1911 all original major components. I can deal with clone springs etc. My question is, how does one do this. Is there a websight that has all original colt parts that would make it convenient to buy a part or two every now and then until I wake up one day and have a fully asembled colt 1911 in front of me. Any info would be appreciated. Parts list etc.

Thanks

Larry
    edited November -1
    a friend wants to sell a 1927 colt commercial 1911 in excellent cond. matching numbers, but we believe it to be a reblue. who ever blued it did an excellent job. everything is original except the backstrap which has been replaced with a flat backstrap. what is this gun worth? thanks
    edited November -1
    saw a new 1911 series 70 for 599.00. ? is ! serial # started with
    71B2xxx is this a new model that came out or is this a real series 70
    colt 1911--- new in box has skeleton trigger cammander hammer,hiene ajd.
    sights up swept beaver tail safety, ALL COLT,should i be there buying it right now? who has heard of this one
    edited November -1
    I am looking at a 1911 that has a Colt receiver , serial number 179xxx, and a Remington Rand slide. The firearm is in excellent condition and has 1911A1 stocks and a saftey that I cannot identify from anything in Clawson's book.The Colt receiver doen not have any of the required Colt VP marks or in inspectors marks.The son and wife of the deceased who owned the firearm say it was purchased from the government in 1946 and has been in the family since that time and they say that it is in the exact condition as when it was purchased.Clawson's book states that some 1911/1911A1's were rebuilt by Army maintainance depots and show not rebuild marks. What I am concerned about is why there are no proof marks or inspector stamps on the receiver.Does thia make sense to anyone? if this could possibly be an "original", what value should I put on it?Please send responses to Vdegrazia@home.com Regards: Vic DeGrazia
    edited November -1
    I have a colt 1911, serial # 522,XXX. I believe it was made in early 1919. Can't find my Colt book. Should this be blue or park?
    thanks!
    edited November -1
    Has anyone heard of a 1911 style short barrel NCO Special? I'm told it's supposed to be just like the Officers special.
    edited November -1
    I have colt 1911A1 SN C177150. SN is repeated under firing pin stop. Left side of trigger guard has triangular mark with what looks like the letters VP inside (parkerizing is so thick it is hard to decipher).Above the triangle is small mark that could be S, 9, 8, or 3. Right side of trigger guard has number 60. Left side of slide has usual Colt patent marks up to 1913. Right side of slide has COLT Automatic,Calibre .45,rampant colt. Top of frame has S stamped on it. Gun has wide hammer spur and short trigger. Sources indicate it was made 1934.I believe it is commercial gun converted to military and arsenal refinished. Frame has "GOVERNMENT MODEL" with SN underneath. Under ejection port are the words MARINA ARGENTINA in plain block letters, no seal or other marks,no import marks. I thought Colt Argentine Contract guns would have been produced well before 1934. What have I got, a shooter or a collectible. Any idea of value range? I forgot to mention it also has lanyard ring behind magazine opening.
    edited November -1
    just bought a colt 1911 45 (new)on left slide it is stamped NIGHT GOVERMENT on right is GOVERMENT MODEL, serial # NTG020 on colt frame with markings and colt barrel. ? IS, has anyone heard of this named colt 45?. All non glare black finish with 3 dot sights,pacmeyer grips. could not find it in blue book or GB
    thanks
    NOAH[?][?][8D]
    edited November -1
    I am looking for information on a Colt Model 1911 45 cal gun. On one side of the gun it says "Colt automatic calibre. 45, government model C220732". There is also a horse engraved after the writing.
    On the other side it says "PATENTED Apr 20, 1897. Sept. 9, 1902.
    Dec. 19, 1905. Feb. 14, 1911. Aug. 19, 1913." There is the horse picture engraved after that. On the same side it says "Colt's PT.F.A Mfg. Co., Hartford, CT. USA. Can anyone tell me the approximate date this was made and the value? It looks like this gun was chrome plated, possibly later? I was in the Korean War in 1952 and we all carried 45's as a side arm. Only chrome 45s I saw were carried by the Honor Guard. I am wondering if this was one of those. Thanks for any information. I have pictures, but haven't mastered how to put pictures on here yet. Can anyone help with that too? Thanks.
    edited November -1
    I remember seeing a very expensive book on U.S. government model semi auto pistols a little while back. (several hundred dollars) Anyone have an idea which one I am thinking of. It may have been Meadow's book?
    edited November -1
    I just bought a old US marked 1918 built colt and was wondering about the barrel. All parts look to be original but how im i to be sure about the barrel ? What should i look for in markings ? The old gun is still good and tight and dont rattle like a lot of old 45s when you shake them. I wont ask if i got a good deal on the price because i know i got a very good deal[:0],but he got the gun for a little of nothing way back when you could buy a 1911 for a few bucks.[:p]
    edited November -1
    i have an old 1911 i dont see any serial numbers on it the only thing i see is a mark on the front side of the trigger guard can someone please help with a little info ibys9l.jpgThis the symbol.
    edited November -1
    Hi, I have a mismatched Colt 1911A1 Made in March 1945. Finish is about gone so was thinking of haveing it reparkerized. Can anyone help me on who does this service as close to original shade of gray as possible, also what parts are parkerized? Looks like most pins are blue, also hammer strut. But what about the trigger bow,disconnecter, and sear. Were the safety lever and hold open the same as frame and slide? Thanks for any help. If Im going to do it want to do it correct.
    edited November -1
    I heard the 80 series is not that good. Is that true.
    edited November -1
    I have a old 1911 and took it apart to clean and try to replace the lanyard ring. It took a while to find one and now I have put the gun back together but the hammer will not stay back and the trigger does not feel right. I did not take them out. I took the slide,barrel,spring and the mainspring housing out. But now when I put it back it does not seem to work right. Can any of you colt experts help?
    THANKS
    edited November -1
    What model of Colt 1911 has a DE serial number prefix?
    edited November -1
    Thanks fellows for all the information. I called Colt and my gun was manufactured in 2002. So I guess someone put two guns together and made two "custom" guns. Thanks again.
    edited November -1
    I recently came into possession of a Colt semi auto that has a commander frame with an officer's model barrel and slide. It came in a custom shop box.It seem's to be unfired. I can't find any information on this anywhere. Can anyone help me? Thank's. Oilslick
    edited November -1
    I have a Springfield marked 1911 dated 1918/19 with a serial number preceded with the typical NO xxxx. Ser range is 470xxx
    However it not being commercial (lacking a C before the number) I thought all would have been military. This gun does not have United States Property markings on it.
    My question is
    Was it military or was it commercial.
    Thanks in advance for any help
    edited November -1
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to my reference. Springfield Armory stopped production of 1911's in 1915. At serial number 133,186.

470,xxx would have been made in 1918 by Colt.

Re lack of "United States Property" marking. Some folks got nervous about that, and were known to remove it.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    hello the 1911 pistols had many changes during it's building there are a number of books that have been written about how they were marked one of the best is Charles Clawson colt 45service pistols ISBN
    )0-9633971-09

inspector marks of your pistol

should have some inspector mark 3 letters inside a circle on left side of pistol just below the slide release latch I am very sorry as am very busy can you post some pictures of all markings
    I think it was shipped dec.3th 1918 very few pistols have the same parts parts that they were built with arms room would not bother
    to pay attention when they cleaned pistols to match parts back

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No 470000 is a 1918 USGI 1911 Colt (receiver.)
    It likely got the Springfield slide in overhaul, the parts were required to be interchangeable and all the Army cared about was functional weapons.
    Lack of United States Property mark indicates a pilfered service weapon "scrubbed" to distract prosecution. Just be glad Grandpa didn't take off the serial number. Many did and the result is contraband illegal to possess.
    edited November -1
    Thanks all.

I never could figure out how to post pictures sorry .
    Ill inspect the frame to see if the USP markings have been removed.
  • big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HOW TO STICKY ....Posting Photographs

Posting Photographs

Select a photo hosting website such as Hunt 101, Photoshed, etc.

http://my.imageshack.us/registration/index.php

http://www.photoshed.net/

http://www.hunt101.com/index.php

Transfer and save your photos from your hard drive to the hosting website. Follow their individual instructions.

Copy the URL of the photo you wish to post.

Open a Reply to Topic message frame on GB.

Select the Image button which is yellow and the 4th from the right in the `Format' line.

Put the curser between the two (img) (img) terms and select `paste'.

Use the preview button to check your image before posting.

If you post something and want to change it or edit it, select the edit function and make your changes.

ADDED:

Some folks are having problems figuring out the new Hunt 101 software so here is the brief Process list:

Select 'Upload Photos'
    Scroll to 'My Documents' select
    Select 'My Pictures' from the list
    Double click the photo you want uploaded
    Select 'Upload/Submit' button
    Select a gallery or select the 'Process' button (I just use Process)
    Double Click the thumbnail that shows up
    Select Icon at right of URL line
    Select and Copy the 'Direct' URL (bottom line)
    Go back to the message frame on GunBroker Forums
    Select the
    Paste the URL between the (img)picture url(/img)
    Preview

Now this sounds like a lot but it takes me about 30 seconds to get an image onto the forums using this process. If this one is too much effort, try Image Cave as another source.

Best.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    your pistol should have inspector markings in many places also on barrel/
    slide small parts etc the slide will tell us if military I would say there could be as many as 30 different marks on the pistol and each one could give you information that could be useful something such as the hammer slide stop trigger grips magazine ETC ETC can be helpful to you help us to help you