In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt 38 Super

badbadhoggiebadbadhoggie Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
a local picked up a like new colt 1911 38 super serial # 771. this pistol is all original and in pristine condition. if it was shot, I cant tell. any idea of value??

Comments

• badbadhoggiebadbadhoggie Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a colt 38 Super with a serial # of 214XX. There is no prifix or suffix with this number. It is blue with no military markings on it. Thanks for the info that you might have.
    edited November -1
    HELP, traded for a colt 38 super. left side saya,COLT'S PTFA MFG.HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A..Very good cond. Orig Blue Right SideCOLT SUPER 38 and under that AUTOMATIC. Then only Ser. # 436xx. Yes 5 digit.
    edited November -1
    I was wondering what generation a colt 38 super made in 1947 would be. The serial number is 53,000. Also I noticed the colt emblem on the right side of the slide and not the left like other colt 38 super 1911's. Any reason for that. Thanks for the info.
    edited November -1
    I have a MKIV/Series70, 38 super.Serial begins with 70S. Gun is like new,Can someone date and give me a value? Thanks
    edited November -1
    I have a colt, the only numbers i see are on the right hand side of the slide essex arms corp, island pond, vt 26883 anyone have any info on this pistol
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    You have an Essex. This is a 1911 TYPE clone. not a Colt. be aware Most of these guns were made up from different makers parts. It could be match grade[^] or a gun with many functioning problems or even worst case unsafe to shoot[V][:(!][xx(] . It all depends on WHO put all the parts together [?][?] If you are not somewhat of a GUN SMITH then I would have it checked out by a Gun Smith to at least check that all safety's work as they should. Then test fire and look at the fired case to see if any sigh of unsupported chamber area.

EDIT Hello The Good/Bad thing about 1911 Type pistos is the fact there are currently and from past years more then 20 Makers on top of that more then 50 aftermarket parts makers Almost all these parts can interchange WITH PROPER FITTING by someone that KNOWS what he is doing . The trouble comes when BUBBA says hey Cletus lets build us some GUNS. The Frame is considered the MAKER of the pistol when it comes to the BATFE or your FFL when he puts it in his BOOKS.
    edited November -1
    it says colt super 38 on the slide so i assumed it was a colt 1911, thanx for the info!
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by badbadhoggie
    it says colt super 38 on the slide so i assumed it was a colt 1911, thanx for the info!

The slide is possibly a Colt slide, but the frame is definitely not Colt. Is there a Rampant Colt logo on the slide?
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by badbadhoggie

Well your pistol could generally be called a "colt 1911" in the same way that lots of people call any box of tissues "Kleenex" or any copy machine a "Xerox", or any sweet carbonated beverage "Coke". Its not technically correct, but people do use brand names sometimes to refer to non-branded items.

But if the frame says "Essex" you do NOT have a Colt gun, even if the slide IS made by Colt.

Since by law and common acceptance the frame is the gun, your gun is an Essex.

As mentioned if the slide is a Colt, then that means someone built your gun using mixed parts. In theory a gun like that "could" be great, *IF* it were built using good internal components that were fitted by someone skillful.

In practice, don't bet on it. The likelihood that your gun was assembled by a novice is a lot higher than the likelihood that it was assembled by a master. That doesn't necessarily mean its unsafe or highly inaccurate, but those things are possible and might require some testing.