In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

COLT New Service

CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
Any information about this firearm would be much appreciated. I went to a local gun store and paged through some books. My guess is Colt New Service with modified front sight post and possibly ivory grips. It has a four inch barrel chambered in 45 LC and serial number of 1279XX with a "J" stamped just below that. If any other information or additional pics would help anyone, please let me know.

p2252989.jpgp2252990f.jpg

[img][/img]p2252989.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
[img][/img]p2252990.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've got a Colt New Service setting here that an old friend inherited, it's a 38WCF(38-40), 7 1/2 barrel, and laynard ring. The serial number is 318601 and it's in a J.M. Eubanks holster. Friends family tradition says the pistol came from the RCMP. I have been over the gun pretty thoroughly, I can't find any RCMP or Canadian proofs. I have read that some RCMP firearms weren't marked. I don't know.
    According to the History of The Colt Revolver, the New Service went into production in 1897. Can any one tell me when this was built?
    How about the RCMP conection? Can any body help?
    Thanks for looking.
    W.D.
    edited November -1
    Anyone know the relative rarity of New Service revolvers chambered for 44 Special / 44 Russian in comparison to other chamberings? Thanks.
    edited November -1
    My grandad has what I beleive to be a Colt New Service Commercial Model. I am hoping that you guys can confirm/deny this. Also a few other questions:
    1.What are the numbers on the bottom of the butt?
    2.The serial number is 2086xx. What date range would this pistol be in?
    3.Is it a .45 Colt? I haven't seen any other pistols that say "Colt D.A.45".
    Any other information off the top of your head would be great too. I apologize in advance for the not-so-great pics.

img1091ayn.jpg
    img1090va.jpg
    img1048fy.jpg
    img1046ms.jpg
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know the significance of the VP on the trigger guard of some Colt new Service revolvers?
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DOM is 1923, per my reference.

All the data on the RCMP issued Colts New Services I've run across, maintains that they were in 45 cal. Either 455 Webley or 45 LC. It's always remotely possible that it was carried as a privately purchased firearm. This would have to be substantiated through documentation/provenance though.
    edited November -1
    Thank you Charlie and Rufe.
    W.D.
  • gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used to have a New service RCMP but it was in .44 caliber. It was clearly marked on the backstrap as to its RCMP origin but was also rebuilt and I assume the caliber changed because the only info I could find is that they were all 45 cal.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The early RCMP Colts I have seen, have RCMP stamped on them. An 1878 Colt in .44 Russian I cleaned up for a friend, had the Colt serial number 778 with RCMP stamped above it, followed by a RCMP number.