In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt Police Positive

Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
The local pawn shop has recently added 4 Colt Police Positive revolvers to their display case. All show a patent date of July 4, 1905. One in particular is chambered 38 S&W, with a 6" bbl., s/n 866xx. This gun is parkerized. Could that be original? And if so is it rare and how would it effect value. The finish is 95% plus.

OldGuns55@yahoo.com

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt Police Positive .32 Police CTG. with last patent date of October 5, 1926. Serial #339756.

Can you help with age of gun and what type of cartridge can be safely used in this gun. I have never fired it, and it has been in my gun safe for 20 years.

Thank you
    edited November -1
    Guys I recently inherited an old Colt Police Positive in .22 caliber. I noticed that when the hammer is cocked it only rotates the cylinder about 98%. You have to slightly bump the cylinder to get it ot lock onto place. Anyone know a good gunsmith in the Houston area that might be able to repair this? The gun probably has far mor sentimental than collector value, but I want a knowledgable individual to do the work. Thanks!
    edited November -1
    I stopped in a local gun shop today and was looking at a Colt Police Positive he was selling for a widow. Here's what I recall:

Serial #1148xx matching on barrel and inside of frame, conservatively 95%+ factory nickel plating, clear markings and rampant colt on left side of frame, factory pearl grips with Colt medallion, 4" barrel, .38 special caliber, mint bore and excellent action. It was carried by her late Police officer husband and looks like it was hardly ever fired. It has his badge number lightly engraved in the bottom of the butt strap.

These are not my specialty but it's a pretty little gun. Can anyone give me a rough idea as to its value?

Thanks!
    edited November -1
    Just before Christmas I came across a CPP , RanchoPaul was so help full on the info I needed.Now cleanin the pistol up I find in the backstrap of the handle these intial: AM RY EXP. Space just as you see it. Any Ideas? Thanks
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt Police Positive, ser. #882767 (on frame, letter "B" under number). It has bluish looking grips, with thumb rest on the left. Colt rampant stallion stamped in right grip (not medallion). On the underside of the barrel are the letters CA1 SI ALB VT. The 1 after CA could be an I. Any information about this would be greatly appreciated.

TH Gibbs
    edited November -1
    I JUST CAME ACROSS A COLT P/P SERIAL #125248 a IN 38 cal.IT IS IN VERY GOOD SHAPE JUST BARELY HAS RING ARROUND CYLINDER, IT HAS A BAKEALITE OR PLASTIC LOOKING GRIPS. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME AN APROX YEAR THIS WAS MADE? ANY OTHER INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
    KEITH (oooldman@msn.com)
    edited November -1
    I have an old colt police positive, i think it is first gen. since the serial is 15xxx.my question is that it has a very small "3" on the frame on the left side right above where the trigger guard meets the frame (rear of cylinder). What does this signify?thanks Scott
    edited November -1
    I recently aquired a Colt Police Positive .38 and am trying to determine the value:if it's a collectable.The gun is chrome plated, with pearl handled grips.It has a 3in.barrel and is in very good/excellent condition.there is very little wear in the barrel or cylinder.the gun has a serial# of 137xxx and a capital B below the ser#.any help or info will be greatly appreciated.Thanks,
    Horner666
    edited November -1
    Hi everyone: I have a Colt Police Positive 38 Special. Unless I overlooked it, the only number on the gun is A 1540. I checked several websites, in an effort to obtain the year this gun was made, without any success. Can anyone tell me the year this gun was made, or where to find the information? Thanks in advance to any and all who reply.
    edited November -1
    Came across a 4" CPP looking to find year of manufacter,I am unfamilair with colts ,I know this is a first issue.It does not take 38 specials,but will it take 38 S&W,any info will be appreciated Thanks......

Don't piss down my back and tell me its rainin
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt Police Positive in 38 special chambering that I have a question about. On the left side of the frame where the Rampant Colt is, there is an extra engraving that I don't know what is. There is an engraving or stamping over the Rampant Colt that looks like a "C", only it is wider than it is tall. Can anyone tell me what this is and if it is something special, or just period for the gun?

Thanks,
    Jimmy
    edited November -1
    Gun has 5 in. barrel.Marked on barrel is Colt Police Positive 38. Marked new police under standing horse. Number 5709 marked on swing out. Pat. date 1884 and 1905 on barrel.Gun has very little blue left but no major dings or scratches. What cartridge does this gun take. When was it made. Has no serial number.What is it worth.Thinking of putting it on G.B.
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt Police Positive, first issue, 4" barrel. .38 short.
    I have a blue book but this Colt has been refinished. It has nickel plating. They did a good job. You can read all the print and dates. The Colt on the frame is lite. The only real noticeable piting is on the rear of the cylinder. The overall look is good, real shiny. The grips look real good. They look correct. I dont know if they are original.No wear or chips on the grips. Can anyone give me a dollar estimate of the value of this Colt? Thankyou very much, steve
    edited November -1
    I was visiting a lady in North Carolina and she showed me this revolver. It's a Police Positive in WRF. The serial # I believe is 32,3XX and the revolver is very tight, the blue's pretty fair and it seems to function O.K.
    She got the gun and holster from her late uncle and knows nothing about it. I'm clueless about Colts, but would like to know the approximate age and value of this one. Also, is the WRF chambering less common? Any information would be appreciated. She's not interested in selling it. Thanks.
    colt%20ploice%20positive.jpg
    colt%20police%20positive%202.jpg
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a real nice revolver! The main sticking point is the nickel plating though. To be worth top dollar it has to be established, ( that the plating ) is factory original. Re: the "badge number lightly engraved in the bottom of the butt strap", means to me that the Colt has been worked on since it left the factory.

If you can buy it at a reasonable price, well and good. I definitely wouldn't be paying top collector dollar unless it can be established it is factory original. My 2?.
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to Colt's Dates of Manufacture by R. L. Wilson, the revolver was made in 1915. I know experts are critical of his dates of manufacture but it surely is an early revolver. If it is in .38 Special Cal. it will be a Police Positive Special. The Police Positive was available in .38 S & W cal but not .38 Special. I would be very suspicious of the evident condition of a revolver that is that old and was carried as a sidearm by a police officer.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Sounds like a real nice revolver! The main sticking point is the nickel plating though. To be worth top dollar it has to be established, ( that the plating ) is factory original. Re: the "badge number lightly engraved in the bottom of the butt strap", means to me that the Colt has been worked on since it left the factory.

If you can buy it at a reasonable price, well and good. I definitely wouldn't be paying top collector dollar unless it can be established it is factory original. My 2?.

The numbers are lightly stamped over the nickel, not under it. The markings are clear, no buggered screws and tight action. Maybe this was a back-up gun, I really don't know. The widow wants $300 for it.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF its Colt factory original? well worth $300.00 per your description.

The devil is always in the details though, IF ?, IF ?, IF ? .
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    IF its Colt factory original? well worth $300.00 per your description.

The devil is always in the details though, IF ?, IF ?, IF ? .

Yep, the magic word. I'll try to get some pics and repost. Thanks.
  • collector14collector14 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The grips alone may well be worth that much or more (if they are real mother of pearl).
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something is not right. Colt never put serial numbers on the barrels of guns. I would be suspicious that the nickel is not factory. Check inside the stocks to see if there is a number scratched or written there matching the gun's serial number or part of it. Are you sure the pearl stocks are real pearl and not fakes?