In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt revolver

olsorhdolsorhd Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited August 2022 in Ask the Experts
Saw this colt revolver for sale (#464788962) states its a possible reblue but seller doesn't know for sure. What's the opinion of others based on the pictures shown. I'm not 100% certain but leaning towards a reblue. It just seems to look to nice. What do you think

Comments

• olsorhdolsorhd Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a old colt pistol dont know the model # but on the bottom of the butt it has a # No. A1120 any body no anything about this pistol like the value and date of mfg. thanks jb
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt Officers Model Match .22 magnum revolver in pretty decent shape. I was told only 850 of these were made. Anyone have info on this or know what it's worth. I appreciate any help. Thanks
    Jim
    edited November -1
    I recently came in to possesion of a Colt's revolver. The butt is marked "U.S. ARMY Model 1917" There is a "No." followed by some numerals which are illegible except for the last two - 87. It has a
    2&1/2 inch barrel marked "Colt D.A. 45" on the left side. Caliber is 45 Long Colt. Serial #250XXX. It is nickle plated. I have not been able to match it in my reference books. Any ideas? What about value?
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt looks simular to the Navy 1851.7 1/2" octagonal BBL.Looks like 36. cal.. on BBL. top engraved Address Col. Sam Colt New York US America. On front of cylinder in small print it has engraved is - engaged 16may 1849, in larger print it sais "Colt pat #no 8685 ser#118XXX . Any help greatly appreciated.
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt DA 38 Cal. Marked US Army Model 1901
    Ser No. 169039 Above the wood grips are the initals
    R.A.C. any info as to Value and or History would be
    greatly appricated. Thanks! Bob!!!

Robert W. Priestley
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine has a colt revolver without the colt address on or the patent number.Serial number is 73204.I make that to be an 1862 manufacture if it it genuine.Did colt manufacture there guns without putting there address and patent year on .

Those who live by the sword will be killed by those who dont. Glyn
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's an 1851 Navy. Does it have a US stamped on the left side of the frame or an inspectors' inspection stamp on the lower (not base) of the grips and what is the condition of bore and finish?
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    It sounds like a Fourth Model Navy to me. Serial numbers in the fourth model ran from 85,000 to over 215,000 and your barrel address began at around 100,000. What kind of condition is the pistol in? There should have been a roll engraved scene on the cylinder depicting a battle between the steam warships of the Texas Navy and Mexico's, this was marked engaged 16may 1843. Is there anything of this scene still visable on the cylinder? Patent dates on these Navy's were all over the place as Colt patented every new feature he could think of and remarked the patent numbers on the then current production. There are many other premium nitches in this model but I simply can't remember them all- if only my old boss were here! If original, this pistol will have considerable value and I strongly suggest an attempt at a factory letter from Colt (I think they can letter 1851 Fourth Model Navys) and an appraisal from a qualified expert...this is NOT me!

Mark T. Christian
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Mark....If this gun was made before Feb. 4th, 1864, I don't think Colt will have info on it. That was the date of the "Great Fire" that destroyed most of the production records.

The factory was also flooded out in the Great New England Flood in March, 1936 (that was before the Connecticut River Dike was built). The water was 38 feet deep down in the South Meadows where the factory was located, but the employees saved the records by taking them to the top floor.
  • irontree19irontree19 Member Posts: 1

I have a Colt 1851 Navy Forth Model. Serial number 104128, how can I tell if it is genuine or a reproduction?

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,311 ******

The original post is from 2002, 20 years ago... if you @irontree19 have a question, start a new post as questions in this forum only go to 10 replies normally and so this will be closed. welcome to the forums, but read the guidelines for the forums you post in.

This discussion has been closed.