In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dan Wesson 1911

asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone had a Dan Wesson 1911 yet, and if so what do you think? Are they good quality and crafted well?

Comments

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Dan Wesson Pointman 3 for $500 blued. Its a good shooter. It has some holster wear but looks pretty good.
    Any thoughts on Dan Wesson.
    edited November -1
    Saw a few of these at a gun show last week end. Rather impressive. Also rather expensive! Don't know much about them. Are they worth the big bucks?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello IMHO I would rather have a Series 70 COLT . it will hold or increase in value . other CLONE brands may or may not . YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...I'm with Perry, surprise...but! CZ USA bought Dan Wesson a few years back...some say good, some say not good.

...Go to the auction side and find an auction that lists the parts that go into one of these DW's, fairly impressive, all quality stuff.

...$750+ for a new 1911, I'd buy a Colt. The Colt will rise in value unless you get an itch for a Dremel for a Christmas present, even as you enjoy shooting it the Colt will increase in value; the DW will decrease.

Mixed reviews what Ive heard, but one can always find if you look someone who had a bad experience with any brand gun, I just get a hoot out of the original 1911 and the history behind it; the fact the value goes up does not hurt either.

I know "I'm not going to sell it, so it doesn't matter.." ok, I'll never sell any of my Colts either but fact is I will die someday and I can't say and don't suspect my family will drool as I do over them.

From the "bad" Ive heard about the DW models of 1911's,...sounds like the slide to frame fit (other internal parts tolerances too) may be so tight (good/bad thing to a degree) that a few hundred break in rounds should take care of the problems (mostly (FTF/FTE )Ive heard about...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the imput. They are a nice looking firearm and I thought one would go well into the "collection". But I hear you loud & clear.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to disagree a bit with the above posts and suggest you reconsider, handle CZ Dan Wesson again before making a decision if you are buying a 1911 as a shooter. I'll agree - the DW won't hold value like the Colts.

I have more than my share of 1911s running from Detonics to Colts to Paras and the DWs, currentl have the PM 7 and CBOB The DW has bar none the best slide to barrel to frame fitting. The slide "slides" with full & even contact on the rails. Neither the barrel nor the slide shake at all on the frame. By not at all I mean not at all.

There are some quality Ed Brown parts on it - grip safety & thumb I believe, some McCormick parts also. The grip safety is matched to the frame, there are no gaps such as those found in the Colts.

The adjustable rear sight on the PM 7 is excellent, the CBOB comes with night sights and they each have good quality grips. The CBOB has a checkered front strap.

1911s are popular as heck, lots of variations and I think anyone would have a hard time "proving" one is better than the other in the $850.00 to $1,100.00 range. I paid about $950.00 each for mine, I like them and think it's worth taking a hands on look.
  • CQB1911CQB1911 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a big 1911 fan and really don't have a favorite. I have a friend with a Dan Wesson. The external extractor on his model keeps giving him extraction problems.
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I have a very early production DW Guardian Duce (Commander size) and am quite pleased with it. Will it hold or increase in value like an old Colt; probably not, but it is as good quality as the rest of the clones out there.
    edited November -1
    I am not sure what Dan Wesson values will do. I don't know what, if anything happened to their production process/quality once they went under CZ. Your early production DW might have a better history because it's my understanding that when they started making the 1911's, DW payed alot of attention to detail/function to prove their product.

I wonder what John Browning would say if he could comment on the staying power of his 1911 design? Don't they say something like "imitation is the best form of flattery." ?
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CQB1911
    I am a big 1911 fan and really don't have a favorite. I have a friend with a Dan Wesson. The external extractor on his model keeps giving him extraction problems.

The CZ Dan Wessons have a standard 1911 internal extractor - may be that the older ones did not though.
  • claysclays Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought this DW when they first came out around 1998. Check the low serial #. It was made by DW at the Conneticut factory.
    i100_0654.jpgmg] [100_0653.jpg/img]
    [img][/img]100_0652.jpg
    edited November -1
    I did some homework. The DW 1911 in question is there Patriot model. I also googled "Dan Wesson External Extractor" and came up with:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-31092.html