In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1 Carbine Question

SnigleySnigley Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
The Inland parts kit from the gunshow is now mated with the Iver Johnson receiver and I went through a whole mag today without a hitch.
But I do have a question. The receiver is marked:

Iver Johnson
N J

According to BlueBook (and some other pubs), IJ did not produce a M1 carbine until 1985. Yet this receiver is marked for New Jersey and IJ only manufactured there from '75-'82.

Can anyone explain this obvious descrepancy (other than the reference pubs are AFU)?.

Comments

• SnigleySnigley Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Carbine and it is my first rifle so you'll have ot bear with me if my question sounds silly. I want to take it to the range this weekend, but I'm having trouble finding out which parts I need to grease/oil to guarantee it functions properly. Even though I'm new to all of this, I would rather know how ot do it than pay someone to do something so simple for me. As of right now it was just cleaned so nothing is greased. If someone could refer me to a site or give me a detailed step by step process it would help me out a lot. Also if you reccommend any types of oil or grease or have any other tips I'd be more than happy to hear. Thanks a lot!

Andrew
    edited November -1
    anyone know the approx manufacture date on a winchester carbine ser# 1294XXX ?...thanks!
    edited November -1
    Yesterday at the range after about 100 rounds the operating slide popped out of the groove and came off the bolt. I can get it back together but was wondering if there was something I should be looking for or if it was just "one of those things"? It's a rebuilt Underwood from Fulton Armory. Have a call into them but wondered if anyone here has thoughts.
    edited November -1
    Saw a question on the general discussion asking what folks were jonesing for and one was a GI M1 Carbine. I have a value question. My mom left my dad's M-1 to my hubbie when she passed away last month. It's in great shape for the shape its in. It has been the light weight firearm the young'uns have used when toting their first "real" gun into the deer woods. We will never sell it, but I was curious about its value. Any ideas?
    edited November -1
    I have an opportunity to buy an M1 carbine. A US Postal meter in VERY good condition with an [?] import mark.[?] I know nothing about this type of firearm, except that they are fun to shoot, this from personal experience. What is this gun worth? How about Magazines, easy or hard to get? Cost of mags? Ammo? I see some guns on the auction side for various prices but no real pattern to go off of. Can any one help or point me in the direction of good info? Thanks!!
    edited November -1
    i have a m1 carbine (inland)the front sight needs to be relaced, the pin that holds it in is it a taper pin or straight? been trying to drive it out with no luck? any suggestions?
    edited November -1
    My father-in-law (nice guy!) just gave me his service M1 carbine. I know very little about M1's, but it's an Underwood 11/43 with a bayo lug, pristine bore, and no import marks (since he lugged it across Europe). No rust, bluing is about 75%, and everything is functional - including the bolt lock-open button. I would say that the stock is in VG+ condition with no major gouges or dings. No muzzle dings either. The stock is quite dirty, though.

Just a few questions:
    - Would cleaning it with something like Formbys furniture cleaner hurt the value?
    - The trigger group is a little loose. It this normal?
    - There are four holes (two on each side) at the top rear of the hand guard. What are these for?
    - Can anyone give me a general value?

Thanks!
    edited November -1
    About 1964 I purchased an M1 carbine through the NRA ($60.00 with included 1000 rounds of ammo). Because it was an arsenal rework, I never thought much about it being collectible. I would however like to find out if it actually has a matching barrel and receiver. The receiver is stamped Winchester. The barrel has a "W" stamped just in front of the bayonet band.

barrelw.jpg

There are numerous other parts with the "W" stamp, but whether or not this indicates Winchester parts, I haven't a clue.

stocknutw.jpg
    edited November -1
    I've seen the small grease pots for sale at the gun shows for M1s and M1 Carbines.

What gets greased, if anything on the carbine?

Thanks,

Jim
    edited November -1
    I realize this question may be to wide in perimeters, but I've always wanted to have a "collector" M1 carbine. So many are listed with many variations so if it is feasible to reply I'd appreciate it.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:I purchased an M1 carbine through the NRA ($60.00 with included 1000 rounds of ammo).

I didn't know NRA sold M1's, but at that price, I wish i did!!
    Mark will be along shortly

tom
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some carbines shipped through the Director of Civilian Marksmanship were, in fact, all original; some were even new. W (only) on the barrel may mean that it is a Winchester barrel, as does the W on many parts. High quality photos would be needed to tell you more, as thumbnails are too small to tell much of anything.

The procedure for posting photos:
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

It may be best for you to buy an inexpensive paperback, US M1 Carbines, Wartime Production by Craig Riesch. It describes the shape & markings on every little part of your carbine.

Neal

EDIT1: Nice job with the full size photos. The poor fit of the recoil plate & distorted screw slot indicates an amateur has been working on it, so....we still need photos of the serial number, rear sight, barrel band, handguard, all stock markings, trigger group, etc.
    EDIT2: Most carbine barrels are stamped with the month/date of manufacturer; the appropriate barrel depends upon the SN & manufacturer. Winchester did not make replacement barrels, so yours is likely original. Carbines were assembled from finished parts. Same finish on all parts often indicates a refinish.
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one my father bought from the DCM in '63 for $17,50 + $2.50 shipping. I still have it and it is an Inland from '44 in excellent condition. Stock, however,is from Rockola. Invoice shows shipped from Anniston Army depot, Alabama.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ordered one too late. I still have the form they sent me saying they were sold out.
    It says, " NRA will continue to accept purchase requests and place them on a waiting list. ...... Your record number appears on the front of this special message."

When the new carbines became available I sent an E-mail asking if they would honor the old orders.

I recieved the following reply. "I appreciate the humor..... However -if you send the order to my attention and include whatever documention you have showing the backorder status....we'll hand select the carbine to ship to you."
  • thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To answer your question, your barrel is a winchester, to know if it's an original to the receiver would be unknown. The arsenal could have replaced it with another winchester barrel. It's a moot point since anyone would now consider it original to the receiver. Carbine barrels were not dated like Garand barrels which can be dated by serial # compared to barrel date.

I wouldn't be concerned about it unless the color between them were way off.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information guys. The only piece that is off color is the piece pictured that holds the action in the stock. Since it doesn't appear to be a Winchester stock, that's not surprising.
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With out the serial number there is no way to tell if the barrel is original to the receiver. The front band could have been put on in a rebuild. The screw holding the receiver into the stock is not Winchester. The early Winchesters had dates on them the later production are marked as yours is. Also the late Winchester came with the bayonet lug on them. You need a lot more pictures and serial number to get a value on the rifle.

Emmett