In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1A?

chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hi, I was trying to figure out what the parts are on this gun I just bought Bolt-7790186 66118-EE, Trigger Housing-7267030-HR-N, Safety-H, Hammer-5546008-HR-N, Rear sight-BME, Barrel-Winchester 7790190-May-61-12, OP Rod-7267064-HRA. Are these are GI parts? Is their any other parts I missed. I didn't see any other markings.

THANKS

Comments

• chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do they mean by 1st 2nd and 3rd gen. scope mounts. THANKS
    edited November -1
    I was looking at a used springfield post ban. The dealer said it's a standard model. However it has the NM front sight. I was wondering if this was what they call the loaded standard. If this is a loaded standard, could someone tell me any more specific marking it would have. Like would the barrel be marked or the trigger group. Thanks
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    It is a Winchester bolt while all parts marked HR are from Harrington and Richardson. The BME marked windage knob is a very common post war subcontract piece used in late M1 rifles as well as in the M14. They are all USGI and are all great parts.
    edited November -1
    Hi Mark, thanks I would of never guessed that the bolt was Winchester. I would have thought they would had Winchester stamped on it. Would their have been any other parts with markings I missed?

THANKS
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Winchester parts used on the M1 Garand were stamped WRA but on the M14 they used the very long code number, usually followed for a double letter suffix (DD, EE, ect.). You will sometimes see OM used to indicate Winchester production on items like M14 magazines as the result of Winchester trademark owner Olin merging with the Mathieson Chemical Company to form Olin Mathieson Chemical Corp. The operating rod should have a marking stamped on it.
    edited November -1
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
  • DifferentDifferent Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chumchum
    Bolt-7790186 66118-EE
    Rear sight-BME

7790186 is the part number for a M14 bolt with roller
    66118 was the CAGE Code for Winchester
    EE is the material lot code

BME was Bruce Machine & Engineering, Inc. (Peabody, MA)
    edited November -1
    Thank you, So, I guess from the reply that not all bolts had a roller? Is that a better bolt?

THANKS
  • DifferentDifferent Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chumchum
    Thank you, So, I guess from the reply that not all bolts had a roller? Is that a better bolt?

THANKS

All bolts installed in a M14 rifle had a roller. Initially, the bolt was marked with the part number for the bolt itself, 7790185.