In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Model 12 question

asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have a Winchester model 12 that serial numbers match on the receiver and barrel. The barrel is stamped Super Speed and Super X 3 in. The receiver's action is the same size as a 2 3/4 inch model 12. Is that right for the barrel? The shotgun has ingraving on both sides of the receiver of a duck scene with heavy scrolling down the top sides of the receiver toward the barrel ending half way down the top of the barrel. The shotgun looks like it was reblued but just after it was engraved. I am going to Auction it off and I do not want to misrepresent it if it is not a 3 inch.

Comments

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are the ejectors on the Model 12 interchangeable between gauges? I know the receivers are different sizes, but can I use a 12 ejector in a 16?What about 20 and 28? Thanks

Thanks. The ejector is what I was asking about. So I can use my spare 16 on the 12ga,right?
    edited November -1
    Having issues with a model 12 Y series. While shooting regulation trap, shells(all factory, no reloads) want to stick in the chamber. It seems like maybe the shells expand after they are fired and the chamber may be a little to tight?? Since these guns are a little different from the original 12's anything might be possible. Thoughts?
    edited November -1
    Should a 1940 vintage model 12 with a donut post rib and a checkered forend have a checkered butt stock or not? Thanks

Todd
    edited November -1
    Isn't there a "gear" type of adjustment the allows "tightening" up the action? If so, wouldn't it be benificial to a buyer if the existing setting of this "gear" be reflected when selling the firearm?
    edited November -1
    I know nothing about the model 12. I'm trying to find out the value of the one i have, but there are so many that are different values. heres what i got. model 12 12 ga., nickel steel barrel,very good condition,it does have a poly choke not sure if its after market,ser. # 165428. any help on what the value is would be great. I've heard of some for 300 to 2500. thanks.

steve
    edited November -1
    Today I saw a 1912 winchester, 12 guage, with straight checked grip, and an old style round, checked foreend. As I examined the inside of the slide rail for the gauge, I noticed a "T" on the rail up a few inches from the 12 for gauge. Anyone have an idea what the "T" means?
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester Model 12 that was recently worked on and I'm having a problem with it. When you work the action, its really rough-not smooth at all. Also, when you "pump it" (down, then up-loading a round, although I'm testing it empty) the pump release is locked until you pull the trigger-not the way it was before. Before I disassemble it can someone tell me what to look for? By raising the loading gate I can see where the release hook locks in and can see it snap in place as the forend locks. At that point it is hard locked in place with no budging whatsoever. When I pull the trigger I can see the tension release from it and it can be pressed.

I would really appreciate any advice/help on this. Really wanting to shoot this old girl!

Shane
  • spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remove the barrel group from the receiver/stock group. At the chamber visible from beginning of the chamber there should be a screw. Find a screwdriver with a blade which fits the screw slot perfectly and loosen the screw enough so that the chamber sleeve? can be rotated slightly (CW or CCW not sure which - been along time since I did this). Then tighten screw and put the barrel and receiver/stock groups back together. If there is more wobble, repeat the process and reverse the rotation. If I lost you, google/youtube "tightening Winchester Model 12" should find better info.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    Isn't there a "gear" type of adjustment the allows "tightening" up the action? If so, wouldn't it be benificial to a buyer if the existing setting of this "gear" be reflected when selling the firearm?

In direct answer to your question, No, there is not a "gear" type adjustment. In my experience, it is rare to find a Model 1912/12 shotgun that has loosened up enough to need adjustment. The vast majority of them have never been adjusted since the day they left the Winchester factory.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somewhere in the past I came across adjustment gears/cogs, can't remember what they're called in case you ran out of adjustment with the factory one. However, if you need them then the gun is probably not worth buying..
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    the part is called a 'adjusting sleeve', there are 6 different ones used depending on the individual shotgun. if #1 don't adjust enough #2 may.....on down the line