In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mosin Nagant

hunter.bhunter.b Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Ask the Experts
I recently bought a Mosin from a person and attempted to shoot it today only to find out the bullet gets hung up while trying to load it into the chamber. I put a mark on the bullet and found at around the 5 oclock spot a spot that looks like theres maybe a burr inside the barrel catching it. It leaves like a scrape mark. I looed as best as I could and can't seem to find anything. What options do I have? Is there some sort of a round file I can use?. Does it need professional help or should I just chalk one up for getting shafted? There has to be a way to fix this..any suggestions would be appreicated..Thanks

Comments

• hunter.bhunter.b Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Romanian M44 at the gun show last weekend. I know these are referred to as Mosin Nagants, but who is the actual manufacturer? Is there any place online that I can download instructions for this gun? I found a site for MAK-90 instructions, but I lost the address.

-Marcus

I can't believe in the things, that don't believe in me. -MM
    edited November -1
    There are a few for sale at a local shop.... Curious on whether or not to buy one...

These are Romanian Mosin Nagants, 7.62x54, folding bayonet, bolt action, fixed 5 round mag.

Price: $59

I know handguns, but little on rifles.
    Any info on accuracy, availability/cost of ammo, reliability, price etc would be appreciated.

My gun is prettier than yours, and it's a Glock!
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of mosin nagant rifles that have a chamber problem they are so oversize from errosion that they split the cases and then you have to really rap the bolt to get them open. If I change the barrels will that change the chambers with them or is there another alterative? any help would be muchly appreciated Thanks Steve
    edited November -1
    Found a Mosin Nagant with nothing but a "50" stamped on top of the receiver. Any ideas of which model. 30" long barrel.
    edited November -1
    How do you get the extractor off the bolt head on a Mosin. Thanks- Joe[?]
    edited November -1
    7.62x54 caliber, what American caliber is closest, 308 or 30-06? What, if any, difference is there between the hex and round? I am going to buy one but know absolutely nothing about them, I appreciate any and all information available.
    edited November -1
    Hey guys I picked up a 91/30 about a year ago and I've played with the idea of getting the bolt bent and putting a scope on it. I'm finally ready to do it but I cant for the life of me find the info on the guy that reshapes the bolts.. I seem to recall there was a fellow that did it and he shaped the origional bolt and didn't cut/attach a new one as i've been told those ones are piles of sh**. Anyways if anyone has that info it would be greatly appreciated.
    edited November -1
    What kind of wood is used on the Mosin Nagant? I was planning on refinishing mine.
    edited November -1
    First, thanks for the info on my US Revolver...My next item is a Mosin Nagant, 1945, M44 just recently purchased. I am new at this and I have some questions.. 1..What is counter boring? I read about this, checked my rifle by dropping a round in the end of the barrel, and it is counter bored. How is this going to affect accuracy, and resale. Is it going to be worth rebarreling? Thank you for your help...
    edited November -1
    I want to add a Mosin Nagant to my very small collection. For those of you who are into these thing, which models, years, and arsenal marks (I assume Tula) are most desireable? What are the best sources?

Thanks, JCS44
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might be Finnish? See link below. They assembled M-N's from captured parts, as late as the 60's. No markings, other than S.N. and date.

Very few of the long barreled M-N's, were made after W W II by anybody.
    If "50", is the actual DOM?

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/0159.jpg
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess would be a Chinese model 1891/30

Either a capture / sale / recovery arsenal rework or a homemade "clean" export variant...

Mike
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check your bolt. If the 50 appears there also, then the 50 is the serial number. I have a Finnish M91 with a 2 digit serial number.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Figure out what flavor of Mosin you have first, ID it here:
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm