In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

P-38

jcorljcorl Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
Any thoughts on why the slide won't stay back on my Walther P-38. When I pull the slide back and push up the latch to lock it, it springs back.

Comments

• jcorljcorl Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently inherited my fathers collection,i am looking to sell one of his pieces and would like a high low on the value of this particular piece.WWII, Walther P-38 w/ holster in excellent cond 99%-90% has swastika emblems and from what i can remember was only fired once in the mid 70's,
    edited November -1
    Have recently viewed commercial ad for like new WWII era German P-38 for slightly less than $400. This seems very good to me - are there pitfalls here or something I'm obviously overlooking?
    edited November -1
    Just purchased a P-38 in about 95% condition. Has CYQ which is Spreewerke. I don't know much about them. Has all matchng numbers,etc. The thing I am wondering about are the grips. They are aluminum. Hope I spelled it right. They are old. The markings inside have a circle with P over 1528 over a 2. They look like they are from that period. The finish on the grips is like late war. I know they made a lot of things different late in the war but did they make any aluminum grips ?
    The gun has v ery light edge wear. I believe the blue is about 95%. Nice condtion. What is the value. I realize unseen it is hard to give a real value but something close will do. My guess is about $450.00. Just wondering how close I am.
    Thanks !
    edited November -1
    Any P-38s produced with the navy proof of eagle and anchor?
    edited November -1
    I have a Mauser P-38 that I came into possession of yesterday. The serial numbers on the frame and slide match (5766) but the serial number on the barrel lug doesn't (6631 over "n"). The complete serial number on the slide is 5766 d ac 44. It has the eagle over 359 proof mark stamped on the slide and frame but the barrel lug is proofed eagle over 135. Also what has me stumped is the barrel is only 3 1/8" inches long. I have not been able to find this exact weapon in any periodicals or over the internet....It is not in very good shape, the bluing is pretty much shot....I know it's not much of a condition description but I am not looking so much for value but for what it is. Thankx for any and all help.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Are you referring to the can opener or the pistol?
    edited November -1
    I was not aware any of my can openers in SE Asia had proof marks on them, but then again all I wanted to do was to find somebody that had one to share to those great C rations open. My question regarded the pistol proofs.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Pictures up close and in focus is really the ONLY way we can make more then a WAG there were MANY different german proofs that could be what you describe.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Click on this link, I got off the net. Years ago I had a similarly marked Model 1934 Mauser. Never was aware that any P 38's were ever found with Naval acceptance markings. With all the fakers out there, I would be very wary of any P 38 turning up with similar supposedly Naval markings.

http://www.p38guns.com/mauser2ndvar.htm
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I've heard of a few P.38's with Kriegsmarine property markings, but no stamp of an eagle and anchor. If it existed, the very lowest level it could be would be depot level and none at organization level.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help.

Jim