In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

red dot scopes

jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
I've been looking for a new red dot scope. I would prefer to buy an older model especially if it was made in Japan. I've personally used some older Tasco Propoints and have been pleased with them overall. The main thing I was wondering concerns the "Dot Size" itself. It seems what the manufacturer list as the correct dot size isn't always the same between different manufacturers. As an example a 4" dot from one company may be larger or smaller than that same size listing from another. It seems to me that the Tascos run smaller in their listed dot size than ones from other companys ,while a Redfield runs larger. Does anyone know how some of the other manufactures scopes compare as far as their dot size goes. It can be frustrating to have a certain dot size in mind for a certain application only to have it be either to small or to large. Does anyone know first hand how the now discontinued "Smith & Wesson" red dot scopes fair both in quality as well as dot size goes. [?]

Comments

• jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How long should a CR2032 battery last in a red dot scope last?
    edited November -1
    for a 12 ga. slug gun.

cant afford a aimpoint right now. what will work for this years season

millett red dot

bushnell trophy red dot

truglo reddot
    edited November -1
    I want to put a scope on my 22 pistol. There seems to be a huge difference in prices. Granted, you get what you pay for (best case) but I can't afford $270. for a Leupold-Gilmore. I see that BSA, Busnell, and Tasco make scopes from around $80. - $150. Any recomendations?Thanks,Jeff
    edited November -1
    What do you experts like and or dislike about these little marvels of technology?

If your gonna be stupid you better be tough !!
    edited November -1
    I have never turkey hunted...I will hunt in mississippi,louisiana,florida,Iowa,....Where can i find out if i can use a red dot scope..I bought a mossberg 835 with 24" barrel..I can buy a 42 MM simmons red dot on here for about 40.00 is it smart since I never turkey hunted before..And is the price a good one it is NIBHarleeman1030@aol.com
    edited November -1
    I mounted a NCSTAR 45mm red dot on my 10/22. It works great and I can get much better groups with it than iron sights and also get faster first shots. The only thing bad about it was that when it is very sunny out the dot is hard to pickup, and it was on the max setting. Are there other red dot's out there that are brighter? Is there some tech spec that gives the brightness levels? Thanks, Jim
    edited November -1
    Could someone explain to me the difference between a 'Red Dot Scope' and a 'Regular Rifle Scope'. I have been told that a Red Dot does not magnify the way a regular scope does but is easier to use and sight with. I recently bought a .22cal Mossberg 715T for me and the grandkids to plink around with or hunt small game. I am 70 and have trouble using the fixed sights. Figured I would put on a scope or a red dot but don't know which would work better. Will not be doing any long distance shooting. Most everything will be under 50 yards, certainly not over 100. Is a Red Dot sighted in the same as a regular scope? I have seen some advertised that appear to be a combination of both. Looking for something inexpensive because I don't want to spend more on a scope than I did the gun, just to plink around with. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mike S.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need more info; make/model...as worded it's similar to

How far will a tank of gas take you?

Manual is of little help, but included link.

http://www.bsaoptics.com/docs/RED_DOTS_Manual.pdf

From BSA site FAQ

Q: How long will the battery on my Red Dot last?
    A: The battery type 2032 on your Red Dot will last 8 hours minimum if left on the 6th power position.
    edited November -1
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    As long as a light bulb will last.
    I change the batteries in the red dot scope,range finder,ect.at the start of each season,regardless. And still carry a spare. Haven't had one go dead yet.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Just like any battery powered item will last most red dots can vary how bright they are On dim #1 setting they will last more than 10 times as long as on the #12 setting I have a MILLETT ZOME IT AUTO ADJUST HOW BRIGHT the light is by how bright the background light is and cuts the light off when yo close the lens caps on the ends
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From my personal experience,i wouldn't put much faith. In any of the low end, Chinese made optics/red dots/lasers, etc. Carry 2 extra batteries.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jptatum
    How long should a CR2032 battery last in a red dot scope last?

The single most important factor is actually the type/make of scope.

Secondary factors after that would include how bright you run it, and how faithfully you turn it off when not using.

The cheapy Chinese red dots will only run a few hours on a battery (maybe 12 hours, give or take). If you accidentally leave one one when done at the range, you can pretty much kiss that battery goodbye, because next time you pull out the scope the battery will be utterly drained.

On the other hand, the better current generation scopes will literally run for MONTHS to YEARS with one CR2032 battery.

I think Aimpoint claims 50,000 hours run time (which is over FIVE YEARS). Though I'd imagine it still depends on brightness you run it at, setting (if you're running a night vision setup, that setting sucks down battery MUCH faster), and probably ambient temperature (extreme heat reduces battery life).

Still, these red dots run so long that a lot of users just leave them on constantly and just swap out the battery once per year or so to be "safe".

Bushnell TRS-25 (which I have, and endorse as a reasonable low-end red-dot FAR better than all the cheapie NC-Star/Barska junk) supposedly gets 3000 hours on a single battery (that's about 4 months run time). I can't tell you if it does or doesn't because I have this on a gun I don't use that much and I'm still working on my first battery. But I *can* tell you that the thing runs for at least a solid week (whoops! [;)]) with no apparent decrease in brightness!

EDIT:quote:From my personal experience,i wouldn't put much faith. In any of the low end, Chinese made optics/red dots/lasers, etc. Carry 2 extra batteries.Agree 100%, and I'll take it a step further.

Unless you're putting it on a paintball gun, slingshot, BB gun, or other such "toy" just skip the cheapie lesser branded dot sights altogether. Optics quality on these is often bad (you get a blurry/fuzzy dot picture), the batteries don't last, the zero won't adjust well, or won't hold. With some of these the design is such that you have to re-zero the thing every time you change batteries (which can be frequently).

TRS-25 mentioned above is solid with decent build quality and good adjustment, and can be had for as little as $80. This is fairly "no frills" and not as good as a dedicated high-end combat dot, but IMO this is basically your entry level for something you could put on a "real" gun and trust.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The el-cheapo red dots have their place and I personally use them for some applications. Carry a spare battery. If you don't feel like doing that, either spend more for the sight or use a different setup.
    I use AimPoints on more critical applications-they're far superior in both dot definition and battery life but I can't afford 10 of them.
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have four low-cost red dots on the kids' guns at camp. Here's what I've found: A battery will last most of the summer with the scope being "on" for 2 hours a day. Also, occasionally a scope will be left on overnight. With a fresh battery the red dot is still working the next morning, barely.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    l forgot to turn my TRS25 off on my SW 657. [:(] lt had only been 3 months..At $100 l thought it to be a little better than the $31 Leapers that came with my 629 PC Hunter, but l was wrong again [:(] [:(]
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your worried about battery run time get an A1 Optic pressure pad conversion unit. The only time the unit is on is when you finger is on the pressure pad. They only make two different sizes which cover nearly any red dot or optic that uses that and similar types of batteries.