In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 725

thebambam2001thebambam2001 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have a M725 in 30.06 that I bought about 10 years ago. I have never fired it as it sits in a safe full time. I got it out Sunday for an oiling and discovered how touchy the trigger is. Slam the bolt and it is gone! I didn?t know there was a problem with triggers this far back. Should I have a gunsmith try and adjust it, or just replace it. Truthfully I don?t think I will ever use this rifle.

Comments

• thebambam2001thebambam2001 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Rem 725 last week. The gun is maybe 90-95%. The previous owner removed the paint from the hinged floor plate. Does anyone what would Rem would have used?
    edited November -1
    Hi

Hi All,
    Again i need some expert advice, I'm forced to liquidate some rifles that belonged to my dad, not enough room and insurance problems.I have last years blue book and the value of my rem. model 725 in .280is approx. $725. in the condition i dertime it to be in.I do not see many for sale, so i'm inclined to think that the rifle is not veryu common due to the low production numbers. If some one could give me a current blue bok value as in 90-95% condition i would really appreciate the info.
    Thanks very much
    jackshous
    ps: if any one needs info on a honda car repair ask!
    edited November -1
    How do you release the bolt on a Remington rifle, model 725?
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,971 ******
    edited November -1
    there is nothing wrong with any of the remington triggers, that a good cleaning won't cure. If you aren't willing to take the trigger apart a visit to your gunsmith is in order.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your not going shoot it, don't sweat it. Make up a hang tag, noting problem, and attach it securely. So whoever gets their hands on it. After you kick the bucket. Will be aware.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The trigger is adjustable according to Bolt Action Rifles by Frank de Haas and has directions to do it. You could probably Google it also.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +10 to what rufe-snow said, you never know what your kids or the next owner may do, may chamber a round in living room, and who knows what may happen then, please if you don't fix it, put a hang tag/note on it.
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all!
  • GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree with Mike. Nothing wrong with the trigger. Clean and adjust.
    Simple if you know how. But nothing is difficult if you know how.
    Nice rifle.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree nice rifle, fix or tag it.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over time, I've probably adjusted dozens of those 721/722/725/700 triggers. Put a bit of fingernail polish remover on the adjusting screws and let it work for a few minutes. You can then flake off the sealant. Get out the de Haas book and a tiny screw driver and adjust it to where you want it. I usually re-seal the adjusting screws with some of the wife's most garish fingernail polish. Those triggers seldom need to be taken apart and cleaned unless they are really crudded up with congealed oil. If the trigger is gummy, sometimes Kroil will free it up.

BTW: The 725 was a dolled-up 721/722 (which were plain as an old tin pail!) with a different safety and were made to compete with the Winchester 70. There are those who consider the 725 the better rifle than the 70.