In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger 10/22

mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2003 in Ask the Experts
Recently sold a new 10/22 wood stock for over 900.00. It did have a box that had 50th anniversary emblem on it. Why was this gun so hot? Was it the box or what. It looked like every other 10 22 I see.

Comments

• mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looking for someone that can tell me how old the gun I was just given is. It's a ruger 10/22 Carbine with a serial number that starts 113-21XXX.

If anyone can give me an answer or if they can send me in the right direction to find out i would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Travis

tnbmartin@hotmail.com
    edited November -1
    I am ready to buy a Ruger 10/22 auto. It is cheap, but look great. What do I get with this firearm? Does it last, decent accuracy?

How does it compares with a Marlin 60 model? for instance?
    Thank You.

Breech
    edited November -1
    What should one expect to pay for an original, 95% barrel
    and stock (walnut) for a four digit Ruger 10/22 Carbine?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Paul
    edited November -1
    How does the marlin Model 795 compare to the ruger 10/22and can you get clips that have more than 10 rdsthanks david
    edited November -1
    I know the ruger 10/22 retail is about $250 i was wondering where i could get them for cheaper or buy them used.

"A good scope can end a bad situation"
    edited November -1
    I am building a 10/22 and would like to know which brand/s are best for triggers, barrells, etc.?

Joe Williams Jr.
    edited November -1
    I currently have a stock 10/22. I was considering putting a different barrel on it. Cabelas sells a composite barrel. Is this a good barrel and will it improve accuracy, or should I put a regular heavy barrel on it? Also how difficult is it to remove the barrel and install a heavy barrel?? Do new 10/22's come from Ruger with scope rings I bought mine used and it didn't have them.
    edited November -1
    I have had my 10/22 since I was 19. I'm now 46 and have a little more time to shoot. It's worked great for all these years with whatever ammo I feed it. I have this wild hair to install a different barrel and stock(to improve accuracy)and have been looking toward the Butler Creek thb01 combo. I use it mostly for plinking and shooting paper. My questions are am I crazy to mess with it or does anyone have any feedback regarding this product. Thanks. Pete
    edited November -1
    I was at the range Sun. with a 10/22 i just purchased from a friend. It is practicly unfired.Is their any reason why the bolt lock/release operates so stiff.When the rangemaster chilled the line and asked to see actions open i would cringe knowing how hard that little button had to be pushed up..Thanks
    Jeff
    edited November -1
    Hi all..

Just bought me (finally) a plain vanilla 10/22... Any tips or suggestions as to its care and feeding..? What upgrades are actually useful and which are junk? I was thinking of making a little project out of it.

Thanks in advance...
    edited November -1
    this may seem like a really stupid question but can i turn my 10/22 22lr into a 17 HMR...and if so what do i need and where can i find it
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger 10/22 carbine .22 LR in excellent condition. What would a good resale price be?
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger 10/22 the has a crack on the left side of the receiver that runs up to the s/n can this be welded. if welded part of the s/n will be missing will it be legal to weld over the s/n.
    edited November -1
    10/22 serial No. 287-12975 I cannot remove the breach block to clean it.
    All pins removed, etc. of all the 10/22s I have worked on and cleaned
    I have never had this problem.
    Any special procedure required? Thanks.
    Must come out some way, other wise how was it installed.
    edited November -1
    A lady gave me her deceased husband's 10/22. So far, she hasn't been able to find the magazine for it. I have a 77/22 with a couple of magazines and they seem to fit and feed OK. Are they supposed to be the same? I seem to remember that, originally, there was a difference.
    edited November -1
    I have been having trouble with it lately. Sometimes the firing pin won't fire the shells, sometimes it will fire but won't eject the brass, sometimes it won't cycle another shell into the chamber. I think I have shot it enough that I am starting to wear it out. Was are some suggestions for me to try to fix my problems.Thanks,Joshua Becker
    edited November -1
    Thinking of buying one. It is said to be the best simi auto .22 rifle. What is your opinion?
    edited November -1
    took mine up to the range today just to get some plinking in and ran into a couple problems.

#1. Remington golden bullet 36gr hp cycles the rifle fine but wont hold a group at 50yds. im not claiming to be a great shot but when i switched to federal the pattern shrunk by more then half.

#2 federal value pack 36gr hp shoots much more accurately in my rifle but had a lot of feeding issues. stovepipes, fte, short stokes. rifle has been cleaned recently should i put a bit of grease anywhere inside the receiver?

also i had 4 factory 10rd mags with me and the issues with federal happened with all 4 so i don't think they were the issue. any ideas?
    edited November -1
    Hey guys,

Not too long ago, I bought my son a 10/22. This was, just a couple of months ago, at Cabelas, in case you're wondering.

Anyway, here's my concern:

his trigger group is plastic

his clamp, that holds (or helps) keep the stock and the barrel together, is plastic, as well.

Also, his receiver seems...... well.... different, if you know what I mean?

I have a 10/22, that I bought about eight years ago, IIRC, and the above parts are metal; and the receiver seems to be... better made... perhaps?

So, anybody know when Ruger shifted gears and started to use plastic in for the parts, described above?

Also, if you know of a document, that details the 10/22 and its changes, over the years, I'd love to see/have/whatever.

Sorry for this question but, I just don't even know where to start.
    edited November -1
    Well I finally am getting one of these with a nice barrel and a Hogue stock and Leupold scope. The only thing I believe it would need is some trigger work. Volquartsen is the likely choice but I was wondering if someone has some experience with another brand?

Also, did anyone make a reliable hicap mag for this gun? I can stick with the Rugers but I would like a couple of hicaps for fun.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
    edited November -1
    hi i am trying to find out some info on two specfic guns a kintrek .22 and a kpk 38 knife pistol and i cant but if i was looking for info on a 10/22 every one would be full of it where are you gun experts with all of the knowledge "not sarcastic" realy some one knows please tell me somthing. sorry i spell like crap. thanks [:p]
    edited November -1
    LOOKING FOR A COMPLETE TRIGGER AND RECEIVER FOR A RUGER 10/22 IN STAINLESS CAN ANYBODY HELP?
    edited November -1
    I have been thinking about a 10/22 for awhile now. I stopped in to the gun shop today and they had a SS very heavy barreled one. The barrel has like a spiral hammer pattern on the outside with the hammered flats being about 1/16" wide. This barrel is approximately .800" in Dia.

I had to be in a hurry today but I would appreciate your opinions on this gun if you know it.

They are asking $439.00 for it with no sights.
    edited November -1
    I've never been a real fan of the 10/22, but when I'm at the range with friends & they have their semi autos with 20 & 30 rd mags, nice scope and I'm plinking away with a Win 52, peep sights and 5 rd mags, well, the 52's more accurate but maybe not as much fun.

Saw & bought a Ruger 10/22 Target today for good price (heavy bbl & laminated stock) and am looking for some help on those little accessories Ruger fans seem to load up on. I don't want to go wild, just make the thing a little more convenient to shoot & accurate. Specifically:

1) I want to replace the trigger - any suggestions?
    2) Is there a device that will hold open the bolt after the last
    round?
    3) Auto bolt release - is there a bolt release that allows the bolt
    to go forward by pulling the bolt to the rear instead of having to
    play with the release on the underside of the rifle?
    4) Mag release - is there one that protrudes out so I don't have to
    press the stock one in?

Finally,any feelings on whether the Ruger benefits from glass bedding either the action or barrel or both? How about free floating the barrel?

I don't want to go wild on this project - just put together a nice shooter.

Thanks.
  • dustyholdustyhol Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Volquartsen is the way to go for the trigger. You won't regret it. For some reason my 10/22 (hogue stock and carbon fiber barrel) doesn't like ram-line mags. I bought a 25 round mag for it (paid $50 for it!!) and it doesn't feed very well. I though maybe it was the mag but a buddy of mine tried it in his gun and it worked beautifully. Now I just load a bunch of factory mags and use those. I think that I have about 20 of them and I pre-load them before I go to the range. It is a blast to make tin cans dance out at 100 yards!

"Practice is the best of all instructors."

Publilius Syrus
  • ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you go too www.rimfircentral and ask about 10/22 you will find everything you could ever wish too know.very good site and nice people.don
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the site info. Nice to see a forum site devoted to rimfire.

• KhegglieKhegglie Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 10/22 doesnt work well with the aftermaket banana clip mags.[B)]
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 10/22 used to love Butler Creek magazines, and Ram-lines worked ok, something like 1 jam for every 2 mags.
    Volquartson is the best trigger for it, and since you seem to be going towards the "no holds barred" route, then I'd stick with it. However, for $20 a decent gunsmith can make them MUCH better.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • handgunnerhandgunner Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot can be done with the factory trigger but I've used Power Custom, Clark and Volquartsen trigger kits and had good results with all them. The kits all run about $100 and drop-in, you can get them thru Midway or Brownells or direct.
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    i have a volquartsen BUT the next one i get will be a KIDD you talk about a crisp break. check out Tony Kidd's trigger groups for the 10/22
    Lt.RRG

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."
    edited November -1
    What would you think would be the gain of a whole Kidd or Volquartsen trigger assembly versus just having someone install and adjust one of the full kits. A full kit is maybe $125 and a trigger assembly is double to triple that. What does one get for the added investment. I find it just a bit ironic that practically nothing of the orignal gun remains when one does this. [8D]

• shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    the only thing on my 10/22's that are stock are the receiver that is all Tony Kidd has one trigger that will break at 10 oz. one at 1.5 lbs and one at 2 lbs you can not get that from drop in parts my volquartsen breaks at 3 lbs that is the best i can get out of it with out taking a chance on a slam fire and a D.Q.

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shootlow, why don't you just buy an aftermarket receiver for it as well? Volquartsen makes a fine one but it costs as much as the entire stock gun...
    I think a person very quickly reaches a point in which more money doesn't equal more performance - especially from a .22lr.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
    edited November -1
    With my last Ruger, a 77/22, I seemed to shoot just fine with the gun as is save for the added scope. A good crisp trigger job is probably the one thing that makes any difference after changing the barrel.

• beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambihunter
    I think a person very quickly reaches a point in which more money doesn't equal more performance - especially from a .22lr.

I agree. I haven't put a dime in my Ruger 10/22 and it shoots flawless with either the original magazine or 25 round detachable Butler Creek "Hot Lips" magazines. I just chuckle when I see you guys spending all that money on a rim fire 22 caliber. You're not getting much improvement for what you're spending.

Bruce
    edited November -1
    I don't think one is really spending all that much on a rimfire compared to a custom gun of another caliber. Unless one takes the perspective that a 22LR is beginner's or kid's gun, a 22 is a rather serious competition firearm. A lot of people can't shoot a 22LR to its potential, but that hardly speaks for those who put in the time and effort to master it.