In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ruger 77

hdwrenchhdwrench Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
What kind of accuracy can I expect from an older Ruger 77 in 257 Roberts that has been unaltered from the factory, and has not hardly been shot? I just got it in the mail from a purchase on gunbroker. The gun is immaculate but my first impression is that the barrel is a bit light compared to an older Remington ADL in 243 that is right beside it. The wood to metal fit is very good but I can't decide if I should float the barrel before I shoot it, or wait to see what it will do first. I'm going to sight it in with Hornady Light Magnums with 117 grain SST bullets this morning after I get done pushing snow. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I found a deal a local pawn shop. Older ruger 77 270cal (mfg.1973 I think) in about 75% condition. It does not have original stock it is a ramline synthetic. However it has a leupold vari-x 2 3x9 scope. I paid 399 out the door. Good deal? As always thanks for your replies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what is the better generation ruger to own ? i am currently looking at a gen 1 (in 6mm ). what is the pros and cons of this gun ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i found a ruger 77 MK ll Manlicher 308 @ a local shop. it was in about 94% condition. what is it worth? they wanted $469.99. it looks like the one below

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=51448615
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone knom if Ruger produced the M odel 77 magnum action in .404 Jeffrey? I know they made around 80 #1 models in this caliber.
    Larry
  • Options
    rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most obvious difference is a tang safety versus a bolt locking safety. I've got both. The MK II is probably a bit safer because you can inadvertently push off the tang safety on the MK I. Either one is a first rate rifle.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the tang safety.
  • Options
    br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    notice to owners of ruger mod 77 rifles with tang saftey manufactured from 1968 to 1991: THE TRIGGER OVERTRAVEL ADJUSTMENT SET SCREW IN A FEW OF THESE RIFLES MAY NOT BE SECURELY TIGHTENED AND MAY MOVE TO READLY CAUSING THE RIFLE TO FIRE UNXPECTEDLY (with the safety off) or cause the rifle to not fire at all. this may occur suddenly and without warning.
    Ruger will send you a new locking screw that will replace your present overtravel adjustment set screw. with detailed instructions for quick easy replacement. there is no cost to you.
    Contact ruger asap.
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HI, I have a pre mk 2 77V in 6mm rem . A rifle or shotgun is just as safe with a tang safety as any other type,and very easy to use, especially if you know your rifle and practice safe and sane gun handling. I love my 77V , it is fun to shoot and a very accurate round when properly handloaded . In my opinion the quality might be sightly better with these older ones.BOB