In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger mini 14

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
I heard and read many pros and cons with the mini 14. I was looking to make mime more practicle with some tactical applications i.e. railings, adjustable stock, optics. What do you experts think?
Should I attempt this or should I sell it and get something else?
What aftermarket mags do you recommend?
thanks

Comments

• HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What makes a mini 14 a ranch model? Is it the receiver that has a dove tail for scope rings or the drilled and taped for a base that makes it a ranch model? I've heard conflicing stories about this and would like to find out one way or the other. Thanks...[:)]
    edited November -1
    what is the difference between ranch model and mini 14?
    edited November -1
    I have a stainless steel Mini 14 that I bought while I was in college back in 1984. The only accessories that I have for it is a sling, and a flash suppressor. I would describe the condition as good to excellent. I have probably only fired 200 rounds through it. The question that I have is, what is this rifle worth?

Thanks for any responses in advance.
    edited November -1
    Hello can someone help me on a value of an ruger mini 14 made in May of 1979. This information was given to me by strum ruger after I gave the them serial number, also it has not been fired and all of the hardware is on it is wood. Thanks
    edited November -1
    Just bought my son a used mini 14 SS wood stock. How do you tell if it is a pre ban? He wants to trick it out some, needs hand gaurd, scope, muzzle brk ect. not a ranch model. Thnxs Pro Gun
    edited November -1
    I was just at the local gun shop and found a "pre-ban" ruger mini 14. I was told it is an early one. The stock is beautiful, and it's all wood. It does not have the metal vent, rather a solid wood piece on top of the barrel. Asking price is $475. I'm thinking about about getting it. Were there any problems with the early ones that were later worked out in the later models? Also is $475 a good price? Thanks.
    edited November -1
    ve a Ruger Mini 14 stainless steel with Factory folding stock, baynot lug and flash hider, it is not listed in the blue book. does anyone have any info on this particular model and what it would be worth. i was told that it originally came from a police dept.
    Many thanks
    Dave
    edited November -1
    Just bought this rifle from a friend and he called it a ranch I know nothing about this rifle so the education is just getting started. What is and how can U tell the difference from the ranch/carbine? Is there a better sight to get this info? Thanks for all your help! I checked the serial #183
    shows that it was manu. in 82' and it is a mini 14 not a ranch, is there a site I can find info. on mounting scope and/or accessories?
    edited November -1
    I have an old beater Mini 14 that's been jamming. Took it down to clean it and had a lot of resudue around the gas pipe. I removed the gas pipe to clean and found a groove in the pipe. Should there be an o ring in that groove? None of the schematics show one. Thanks for the help.
    edited November -1
    Purchased a Ruger Mini 14 in .222 Ranch Rifle. Condition is 99.9%. I was curious to know about the value. It is blue with wood stock. Thanks
    edited November -1
    I have a good trade opprotunity. Its for a ruger mini 14 and on the left side of the receiver it says something like in the 200 year of freedom 1776-1976. Gun is about 85% Any info would help.
    edited November -1
    What is the twist rate of the new miini 14? Thanks.
    edited November -1
    I just obtained a never fired , SS mini 14 . It has the original box , factory SS foldind stock and wood hand guard . It also has the factory mag and sling still in the plastic .
    What years were these made , and what is the approx value .
    Thanks In Advance
    Mike
    edited November -1
    what is the date of mfg for a Ruger mini 14 serial number5 184-61054?
    edited November -1
    I own a mini 14 and would like to add a few extras,scope mount ,bipod etc...,this I feel comfortable doing. I was considering replacing the front sight with a flash hider/ muzzle break from eagle, how difficult is factory front sight removal and would this be a job for a gunsmith.
    edited November -1
    Hi All does any body know of a "barrel brace" or something like that. That helps the accurecy A friend has one and said there is some thing for them and if there is where would I get one Thanks Lee
    edited November -1
    Just made a trade for a Mini 14 223 cal. will this thing shoot 5.56 cal. also ? its only marked .223 Thanks for an answer. [;)]
    edited November -1
    Is there any "first-hand" info with the newer mini 14 as far as accuracy is concerned? I gave up on the original model, when 4" at a 100 yd. was the best they would do. If they are "greatly improved" please give some details. THX HAWKSHAW
    edited November -1
    I took my basic training with the m 14 and I liked it well. The Ruger mini 14 seems to have at least some similarities.
    Any opinions?
    edited November -1
    What would be a good scope to put on a ruger Mini 14?
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not know what Ruger has done to the new ones, but I have one that is about 5 years old, shoots a 12" group at 100 yards, and my new one, the 16" tactical model that shoots a 3" group at 100 yards with the same ammo. (both with open sights)
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawkshaw
    Is there any "first-hand" info with the newer mini 14 as far as accuracy is concerned? I gave up on the original model, when 4" at a 100 yd. was the best they would do. If they are "greatly improved" please give some details. THX HAWKSHAW

I had the same luck as you with the originals. Wouldn't risk another dollar on ANY Mini!!!
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are fun guns. Not renown as a sniper rifle. Reliable and simple.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine bought a couple last year. He says you can cover the group with a snoose can at 100 yds.
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do a search you will find other info on the Mini 14 and from what I have read they have improved the quality of the rifle and they shoot better. This is not first hand information, it is directing you to do a search for the info you want. I have one of the older rifles and I enjoy it, I did not buy it to shoot MOA just a plinker.

Emmett
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some aftermarket devices that may improve the accuracy. One attaches to the bottom of the barrel and supposedly dampens the barrel whip.

http://gunblast.com/JessHardin-Mini14.htm

Also Ruger now makes an accurized version of the Mini 14
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    My GB shoots very well at 200 yards. It does not match the AR sytems of rifles but it works for me. [8D]
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    The mini "tactical" has a stiffer barrel, I've shot several clips through one at cans hung on string at about 100 yards.. I could hit them consistantly with Iron sights.

I hear the new ranch rifle with the thicker tube shoots just as good.
  • MrM1A1MrM1A1 Member Posts: 2,764 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My folding stock SS GB from '87 has had 1500+ rounds through it and still gets it inside 2" @100yds. Like the others have said, not the most accurate rifle, but reliable and can be as accurate as you need it to be with enought practice. One of the best plinkers I've ever owned. Ruger does sell an accurized version, as well as claiming that the new models are more accurate, but when you buy any mini, you shouldn't expect tournament groups, IMHO. Buy one anyways, LOTS of fun!!!![;)]
  • 9 on the floor9 on the floor Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 183 series Mini bought in '82 has always shot minute-of-coyote.

{With improved iron sights and a little trigger work.}