In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger Single Six

rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I set up with my buddy at a gun show today. I had an old model single six 4 5/8 barrel. I sold it for 300.00 w/box. The guy buying it said it was a white label box and worth good money. Is this true? I made a few bucks on it and will move on regardless. Just curious. Thanks for the help.

Jim

Comments

• rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    im wanting to buy a 22 mag cylinder for my ruger..do you have to have the cylinder timed by a gunsmith or can i just buy a mag cylinder and put it in..Thanks
    edited November -1
    I posted this in the wrong spot earlier.

Did Ruger make the Flat loading gate guns at the sametime as the round? Or did the round come after the flat? I just purchased a Flat loading gate made in 56.
    Any idea why they made it that way?
    Did Ruger make all the Flat loading gates in 5.5" ?
    What about the mag cyl. When was that an option.

Sorry for all the questions. Just got the gun and would like to learn a bit about it.

Rex
    edited November -1
    I've a Ruger old model isingle six 22,It fires on 3 of the 6 holes,all 3 are side by side,Any idea as to what is causing it not to fire?Already has had the new hammer and trigger & firing pin block put in by Ruger. Thanks

JMU
    edited November -1
    I have a friend who has a Ruger single six 3 screw with the flat loading gate serial # 2729 and was wondering if anyone can tell me when it was made? Any info is appreciated. Terrill
    edited November -1
    Picked up a used 22 single six the other day. The 22LR cylinder splits the shell casing on about 4 of the cylinders. It is almost like it is egged out. Any suggestions?
    edited November -1
    What is a New Model Super Single Six Convertible , in excellent shape , worth ?
    edited November -1
    What are the differences between the Ruger Super Single Six and the Ruger Single Six? Thanks
    edited November -1
    Are all Ruger Single Six barrels the same diameter. I believe the 22 mag bullet is around .003" larger in diameter than the .22LR. If a single six marketed to be sold w/o the 22 mag cylinder, then a barrel drilled for the 22 mag would not be the best barrel for that particular gun to be shooting .22LR in.
    edited November -1
    An old friend has a Ruger single six he bought in the late 50's and has lost the base pin latch, base pin spring, and the nut. I found these parts through Numrich for a "new model" single six. Anyone know if the new parts will fit an old model gun? ser# 52xxx
    edited November -1
    Here's one for you. I have a Ruger single six 3 screw that is stamped .22 magnum only on the barrel? Never was a convertible, seen any of these?? This is the first one i've seen. Thanks, Montanan
    edited November -1
    I have a .22 cal. single-six with additional .22 mag cylinder, serial# 1044xx. Any ideas how old and what value?
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger Single Six 22 mag. cylinder only.
    Is it worth trying to sell?? I didn't find any listed.
    edited November -1
    HELLO, I'M A NEW MEMBER. I HAVE PURCHASED AN OLD RUGER SINGLE SIX. I NEED SOME ADVICE ON IF I SHOULD REBLUE OR LEAVE IT AS IS AND SHOOT IT. . THE SINGLE SIX HAS ONE CYLINDER. IS A THREE SCREW MODEL WITH BLACK PLASTIC GRIPS. BARREL LENGTH IS (ABOUT) 5". FIXED SIGHTS. THE HAMMER COCKS 4 TIMES. THE SERIAL NUMBER IS 74XXX ONLY FIVE NUMBERS . THE ACTION AND ALL WORKING PARTS ARE IN FINE CONDITION. BUT THE BLUEING IS 40% GONE ON THE BARREL AND CYLINDER. LIKE IT HAD BLOOD OR SOMETHING ON IT. THERE IS NO RUSTING OR PITTING. IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA OF THE VALUE, AGE, OR WHAT IT IS I HAVE PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANK YOU.
    edited November -1
    Duck hunting is over with so I got a chance to go to the range today. I bought this pistol back in 1987. It never did shoot straight. I had owned one before and I could do no wrong with the first one. It turned out that the rear sight had been damaged on the second pistol. I replaced the front and rear sights , with Williams fire sights. I now have it shooting very good groups at ten yards, but its shooting to the right.Do I move the rear sight to the left or to the right? I've screwed with this pistol so long I don't want to mess up now that I have it so close to shooting straight. Second question, what weight of ammo do you sight a 40 caliber auto in with? I will mainly use this pistol for home defense. I used a 165 grain bullet today. At ten yards I could hit the upper body of a torso type target very well. If the wind hadn't been blowing I would have done alot better I'm sure.If it hadn't been so dang cold and windy today I could of left the range feeling alot better with my shooting. That cold wind sure does make me brain dead.

And this has come to pass,not to stay.
    edited November -1
    Can you tell me what a Ruger Single Six 9 1/2" bbl revolver is worth and what year it was manufactured ? The serial # is: 260-99001. It also sports a Bushnell 2x6 scope. It is in very, very good condition - almost like new. If you look hard, you can see a very faint drag line. The finish is Blue/Black.
    edited November -1
    Looking for some answers about the single six .22 cal.

I have a Ruger single six .22 cal with only the cyclinder that shoots regular 22 shells(long ,long rifle). I would like to know if this weapon is safe to fire .22 mags using a magunum cyclinder?
    edited November -1
    found a ruger single six in a pawn shop with 10 inch barrel. its in decent shape, bluing worn on the barrell. its 22lr but i have a few questions.

were all of these guns 22 mag 22lr?
    approx value of gun in fair-good condition?
    accuracy of these guns?
    edited November -1
    is it true that the older ruger single sixes are more accurate than the newer ones ? am about to purchase one..
    like accuracy, but am not ready to pay seventeen hundred dollars for an FA.
    thanks in advance.
    dk
    edited November -1
    Can anyone point me to a company that makes a decent cheaper red dot scope for my ruger with a 9.5 inch barrel? Also does anyone make a holster for one that accomodates for a scope?
    Thanks
  • NEEDCOLDNEEDCOLD Member Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooting the .22 Mag in the.22LR will cause damage to the gun or to you.Obvious math here, or the whole square peg in a round hole aspect. I haven't had the willy's to try it to see what would happen, and then again, I don't want to see what would happen.
  • NEEDCOLDNEEDCOLD Member Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And yes, the .22 LR will not shoot as well in a .22 Mag barrel.And the Single-Six was offered in .22LR only at one time. If the gun says .22LR only, then that's what it's for, and will not come with the .22 Mag cylinder.
  • tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen, not to worry. You cannot chamber the Magnum in the standard cylinder nor a standard chamber. I don't think there is enough difference in the barrel to make much difference in accuracy.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who dont.
  • PiadeaPiadea Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah, but you can chamber a LR in a Magnum chamber. Not a good idea because the case can rupture with bad results.
    edited November -1
    The reason I was asking was per the catalog you can/could buy the single six w/o the magnum cylinder.If the barrel for these particular ones was actually bored for the 22 LR vs. one bored for 22LR and 22 magnum, they would be more accurate with 22 LR and maybe too tight for 22 magnum due to bullet diameter difference.In my convertible single six, 22LR accuracy is really bad, but 22 magnum is passible.In my S&W 22 magnum for which I have the 22LR cylinder the same results with 22LR are passible but accuracy with the 22 magnum is excellent.
  • redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless I am mistaken (and I might be) I think nominal bore diameter on the .22LR is .222", and the .22WMR is .224.As stated above, the .22WMR is a significantly larger case that .22LR and will not chambers in .22LR chambers. .22LR will fit in a .22WMR chamber, but it is a very loose fit, and ruptured cases, jammed in the chamber, are likely to result if firing is attempted. If you have a magnum chamber connected to a .22LR barrel, excessive pressures are likely and the results will depend entirely on the paraticular gun.For example, when Colt introduced the dual clinder Frontier Scout, they sent out a factory bulletin warning dealers thatr even though a Magnum cylinder might drop in and function, it should not be done on .22LR barrel guns. (They also crowned the Magnum barels, leaving the LR barrels relatively flat, so they could be distinguished at a glance. Combo guns had Magnum dimension barrels.)The lead bullet in a .22 LR will upset enough to engage the rifling in a .22 WMR barrel, but accuracy may suffer. Pressure problems aside, it doesn't help the acuracy of a Magnum bullet to swage it down in a LR barrel, and there will be above normal fouling.One problem with .22WMR fired in a short barrel is that the powder is desgned to burn in a longer barrel, so there is quite a bit of flash and blast from a short barrel as the powder unburned in the barrel ignites at the muzzle.
    edited November -1
    I know about the case differences, it was the barrel bore I was specifically referring to. I have never been able to get good accuracy in guns that had cylinders for both the LR and magnum chamberings when using the LR cylinder. I was thinking it was because they bored the barrel out to the magnum diameter vs. the LR diameter. In which case, if they bored the guns meant to be w/o the magnum cylinder smaller, than I should get one of these if all I plan to shoot is LR to get the maximum accuracy.
  • legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rsnyder55 how about a Hammerli?
    Work'n like a dog all nite