In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Safety Issue

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited November 2011 in Ask the Experts
Is it any less safe to cock the hammer on a Marlin 336, engage the safety and hunt than to not cock the hammer, engage the safety and hunt?

Sage 1

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I came across a kahr p9 where some idiot drilled into the plastic and put wood grips onto the pistol. My question is, Is this safe to shoot this way or should it be sold off for parts. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Worst part of most safety's is when you have to take it off safety to work the action (unloading a chambered round, for instance).

If your Marlin cycles with the safety on, then, when you arrive afield cycle a round into the chamber while the safety is on.

You may not be able to cock the hammer while the safety is on, or the safety may not be able to be engaged while the hammer is down. Others will chime in in that regard, as I'm not sure.

Best if you can go off safety when you intend to shoot, or after determining that the gun has been properly emptied after the hunt, and that, again, is only if the gun can be cycled while cocked and also with the safety engaged.

If the gun will not cycle with the safety on, then extreme caution is required when chambering..which means that you have to use the same safety technique as an earlier lever Marlin/Winchester that used no safety (except for the questionable half-cock safety).

Best I could do, from memory. Joe
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do NOT reccommend cocking the hammer and putting the crossbolt safety on, either on the Marlin's, or the Winchester's that have crossbolt safeties.

For one hunting with the hammer back on a hammer gun is always a bad idea, and a bad habbit to get accustomed to.

Secondly it puts more tension on your mainspring, and could possibly be left or forgotten in this posistion.

It is just best if you leave the hammer down, and have your safety on too, if you must.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Sage 1
  • Options
    ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd put the Rifle on half-cock, safety off. My 1965 .30-30 doesn't have a safety. It's half-cock. Unloading it's pointed down at ground and work lever to dump the three rounds out. It's what I'm used to with the lever gun. The added safety gives a false sense of added security. IMO.
    ENBLOC