In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sharps rifle

fishinpetefishinpete Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a sharps rifle i would like to know something about it is stamped sharps no 155 sept 12 1845 serial no 5637x it is a percussion breach loader in 45 cal it is in almost new condition any help will be greatly appriciated

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hello, I recently had my 1863 Sharps rifle appraised. It was valued at $9,000.00 It is in excellent condition 95%mechanical and 80% of the finish is the original . It has all the patents; sling ring is excellent with the metal still a white shade the gunbroker said it is almost brand new condition. MY DILEMMA IS THAT ANOTHER GUNBROKER SINCE HAS TOLD ME THAT IT PROBABLY WOULD ONLY BRING ABOUT $3000.00 AT AUCTION.Who do I listen to and trust now!I am thoroughly confused. What is your opinion? Any help would be appreciated

joseph leva
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a sharps rifle I believe to be a sadle ring carbine. Can anyone tell me a simple way of IDing this gun. What cal. it is ect. I have been looking at alot of them in the auctions and mine is in better condition than most I've seen, it even has some of the color case harding on it, but I don't know what its worth or even what it is. [?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been looking for a set of blueprints and plans to build a sharps rifle. Any ideas? e-mail drumnond2002@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not sure of the model number. Precedes the 1874 and is loaded by opening the breach, inserting a ball and then putting the powder charge in behind the ball. Does anyone know of a company making reproductions of the above? Who are they and how would I get in touch? Looked on the web but I'm not doing something correctly.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A friend has an Sharps rifle and is looking for information.

Markings as follows:

Serial number 704, there are two smaller characters preceeding the number and appear to be either 88 or pr.

Barrel marked C. Sharps, Pat. Oct 5th, 1852 and R. B. Lawrence April 12th 1859.

Barrel also marked 50 caliber.

Plain wooden stock with metal butt plate.

There is no saddle ring.

Rifle is of carbine length .

If you have knowledge that you can share about this rifle or can direct us to a source it will be appreciated.

Thanks, 11thcanopy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Please help I just inherited a sharps rifle form dead uncle
    Can't tell much about it serial number 66774 lever action( i think) the block drops down for loading, seems to be percussion? Straight stock dark wood one band on fore arm
    rs lawrence pat april 12 1859 on hammer side
    number 28 on top of the stock at the rear
    Thank so much I will post pics
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A customer of mine has a Sharps Rifle and wants to know what it's value is. Stamped on the top of the barrle is OLD RELIABEL and SHARPS RIFLE CO. BRIDGEPORT CONN. The forend has a puter cap on it. The wood looks like extra fancy with a lot of figure in it. The barrel is 30" long. Caliber 44 is in front of the receiver. About 70 to 80 percent bluing on the barrel. One crack in forend about 3/4" long and a few dings in the buttstock. The bore looks very good without any deep pitting that I can see. Some pitting from rust on the barrel from setting on one side for a long time. Has double set triggers and functions fine. The front sight has been bent down as if the gun has fallen on it. Serial number is 1579XX. The screws have not been dinged. It must have had a tang sight on it at one time because the screws are missing and need to be replaced. The original ladder rear sight on the barrel is there. A very nice shootable condition gun. I would like to know what kind of value and caliber this is.