In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping guns

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in Ask the Experts
I own a Keltec that I want to send back to the factory,can I ship it direct or do I need to go through an FFL?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of questions regarding shipping guns that aren't quite addressed in the tutorial.

#1 I am shipping a pistol in it's origional packaging via fedex. Should I repackage this or put the whole thing in another box?

#2 pretty much the same as above except for a shotgun. Do you guys re-package in addition to the origional box?

Thanks
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The manufacturer IS a FFL.

You may send a firearm to the manufacturer for repair, and it may be returned directly to you- or a similar gun can be sent to you. You do not need the services of a dealer. There has been no change in ownership.

When shipping a handgun it must go by UPS or FedEx Next Day Air. Manufacturers and Dealers can mail handguns to each other by US Mail, but us peons cannot.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless KelTec is paying, for you shipping it back? Going through a dealer would be cheaper, than shipping it yourself through FedEx.

I quit shipping handguns, awhile back. When the thieves at FedEx, were nailing me for $60. My dealer only charges me $25.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you asked if they will send you a UPS or Fedex pick-up label?

Even if you are paying for the shipping, they may have a contract for a lower rate than us peons get.

Neal
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Have you asked if they will send you a UPS or Fedex pick-up label?

Even if you are paying for the shipping, they may have a contract for a lower rate than us peons get.

Neal
    That is the method I have always used. Let the factory arrange the shipping. They send you a label you can print out and the truck stops by your house to pick up the package.(You pack). No FFL is needed for shipments to and from the manufacturer, who as mentioned above, is an FFL. [:)]
  • Options
    KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently sent my M&P9 in for repairs and Smith and Wesson sent a label and paid shipping both ways.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys! Never sent a gun back before....Willie