In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

sks

deacon 52deacon 52 Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a Russian SKS, dated 1954,7.62x39. Very good condition looks like new. about what would it be worth. Thanks in advance.

Grayghost

Comments

• deacon 52deacon 52 Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is $150 a fair price for SKS(china)? It's in good/very good condition and comes with an after market folding stock, a bi-pod and a 30 rd. mag (plastic) It also includes the original clip, 10 stripper clips and wood stock. I've seen over 1,000 rounds fired through it and it seem reliable. Should I pick it up?

PS - and no I'm not in California.
    edited November -1
    I notice that a few Russian SKS rifles have different magazines on them.
    Did they came with them or were they modified to accept a detachable magazine?
    edited November -1
    anybody have any opinions on the zytel mags for sks's.
    i see SOG has them for $13 ea. 30 rds.
    barto

the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
    edited November -1
    Whats a good way to clean the chamber of an sks? My brush doesnt touch the edges.

Thanks

Larry
    runroom_x.gif
    edited November -1
    MUST be getting to old.selling my sks and can:t remender how to get standard mag back in. help please. thanks

DON
    edited November -1
    I have been looking at some SKS's for a while now and I am thinking of getting on to add too the collection. But it seems the SKS is alot like the AK type rifles. Some people look at where it was made. I am looking for a all around good shooter so what would you all think one of the better makers are?
    edited November -1
    Was thinking of trying to order a couple of those Romanian Sks`s before there all sold from SOG if they haven`t already.Was wondering about their quality compared to the Chinese I bought 8 yrs ago.It looks little rough,but hasen`t jammed and shoots under 2 MOA.Any ideas,thanks DD
    edited November -1
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the gerande launching features from my SKS along with the bayonet?
    edited November -1
    I'm looking for advise on Buyer Beware when shopping for an SKS. Are they all used military weapons 40+ years old or are there new SKS's?
    edited November -1
    How is the SKS Sporter different than a reguler SKS? Will it accept AK mags?
    edited November -1
    About how mch is a russian sks 1943 7.62x39 in very good condition worth?
    edited November -1
    Can a Chinese SKS be converted to use AK type clips?
    edited November -1
    what would be a good scope for a sks? It has been said rear mount scopes wont hold. thanks fr any and all advice
    edited November -1
    I bought a Chinese SKS. I'm looking to find incentorator rounds for the SKS. I found them once and forgot to book mark the page. Can anyone help me out?
    edited November -1
    As far as accuracy goes, what can i expect from an sks at 200 yds.
    Would say a Saiga in .223 be a more accurate rifle.
    edited November -1
    hi; i have a friend that moved from pa. to fla,he left sks at my place; now he wants me to ship to him; it is registered to him;what are the best ways to handle this?
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ejection pattern from SKS's, is almost straight up. This causes problems with the cases hitting the scope body. I had this problem with a early Russian SKS, that I mounted a scope on. It was a quality scope. Unfortunately it had all kinds of divots, from steel case chinese ammo. The first time I shot it.

Either use a side or "scout" mounts. So the the scope won't interfere with ejection of the brass.
    edited November -1
    thanks--will go with a scout
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The other option is to use a really short body scope. That's what I did so I could load with strippers.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    The other option is to use a really short body scope. That's what I did so I could load with strippers.

This will work OK. If the scope has, "Long Eye Relief", type optics. Many Scopes meant to be used on handguns, have this feature.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by deacon 52
    what would be a good scope for a sks? It has been said rear mount scopes wont hold. thanks fr any and all advice

On simply mounting the scope, exactly as you say the rear dust-cover type scope mounts aren't very satisfactory.

The cheapie ones just don't fit tightly and will "wander". There are ones that are oversized that you are supposed to file down to a tight fit, and then squeeze/hammer into place. Some people report good results with these, but they're not easy to get off and zero can wander a bit when you take these off then replace to clean gun. There are versions that attach via dust cover pin holes. . .again, more stable than cheapies, but not easy to remove for cleaning.

I don't think any of these are really a good option for anything other than casual plinking.

Also as mentioned above ejecting brass can whack the scope, though there are things you can do to address this like using a brass deflector. EG:

http://www.tapco.com/products/sks/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=200

If you're serious about scoping, I think the "best" option is having the receiver drilled and tapped for a side-mount, which is something most people should have done by a competent gunsmith. EG, this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/435151/choate-scope-mount-sks-steel-blue

Worth mentioning that ANY conventional scope mount will prevent you from using stripper clips with your gun, taking away one of the nice advantages of the platform.

"Scout" (front mounted long eye relief/pistol type) scope mount bypasses all these issues. The problem with this is that by their nature long eye relief scopes offer limited magnification and limited field of view. That may or may not be OK, depending on what you're trying to do, but I think scout mounts work best for red-dot type sights.
  • jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a top cover that accepts the shell deflector.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't waste money on dust cover mounts for AKs or SKSs.
    They shoot loose in short order no matter how tight they're fitted.
    Drilling and tapping the receiver or a forend mount will give better results.
  • TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See my signature picture below.
    That is a full size scope. Custom made shell deflector.
    Can not use the stripper clips.
    Going to redesign it though.